View Full Version : Need Answers Please!

hashemc
09-26-2003, 01:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the world of smartphones but very excited about the news of the Motorola MPX200. Would someone please help to answer a few questions I have?

1. Can the Phone and PDA functions operate independent of each other, for example would I be able to listen to MP3's on an airline flight?

2. Are smartphone ROM's flashable? Since the MPX200 runs smartphone 2002 would I be able to upgrade to smartphone 2003?

3. What size is the headphone jack on the smartphones? Would I need to buy an adapter in order to listen to music or video through decent headphones?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but if anyone can help with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Jason Dunn
09-26-2003, 04:44 AM
1) Yes, you can turn off the radio portion of the phone and use it like a PDA. You may have trouble convincing the flight attendant of that though, so I'd keep it hidden in your pocket. ;-)

2) Yes, it's 100% flashable. In fact, the ENTIRE device image is stored in Flash ROM, so even if your phone battery goes dead, it will be back as good as new after a charge. The downside is that Flash ROM is a little slower than normal RAM.

3) The smaller 2.5mm one, so yes, you'll need a small adaptor

Welcome to the site! :D

hashemc
09-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks Jason, I appreciate your quick response. Keep up the great work!

hashemc
10-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Jason,

I am currently using an iPAQ 3955 with sleeve and Bluetooth card to connect to my T68i and I'm considering the Motorola MPX 200 when it's released.

Question: How difficult was it for you to adjust from a Pocket PC sized screen to the Smartphone screen?

The Motorola seems perfect for me since I don't need a camera or Bluetooth and I like the compact size (a key) but, I haven't actually seen a Smartphone in person so it's hard for me to visualize what a 176 X 220 display will look like. I'd like to be able to view mail and web pages and wonder if the smaller screen size has been a problem.

Also, have you heard of a North American release date yet?

As always any guidance you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
C.H.

codesmith
10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm not Jason of course, but I cant post from my experiences on the matter. I have been a long time Pocket PC user (since the E125 days) and currently have both an iPAQ 2215 and an SPV E100. I had little trouble getting used to the smaller screen. The programs I use on my E100 are written well enough to display the data in a very readable fasion on the small screen. You get used to T9 or multitap to enter small amounts of data (large data entry I still do on desktop and sync it to the phone). The screens are bright and easy to read and I am really loving the one handed operation. Hope this helps and I too would like to hear Jason's and others take on this.
CodeSmith

IntelligentDumbPhone
10-14-2003, 08:00 PM
i used the Toshiba e740 pocket PC, which was easily the best PPC out on the market. i traded it in for a smartphone and never looked back. I eventually stopped carrying my PPC because my pockets were too full with that and my cell phone & wallet & camera. I was worried like you are and I did a lot of research, I finally bought it and i love it. Its the best electronic device I own

hashemc
10-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks codesmith and IntellegentDumbPhone, I appreciate your input.

TopDog
10-14-2003, 10:23 PM
i used the Toshiba e740 pocket PC, which was easily the best PPC out on the market. i traded it in for a smartphone and never looked back. I eventually stopped carrying my PPC because my pockets were too full with that and my cell phone & wallet & camera.
Same here. My PocketPC now lays on my bedside, I mainly use it for some easy WiFisurfin' before night-time :-)

I found myself using the PPC less and less, and found out that the SmartPhone gives me what I want most, a good calendar and contact functionallity, good email-client (I mainly download and read and wait to reply until I get to a normal PC anyway), PIE and Codewallet Pro(it works great on the SmartPhone).

I love the SmartPhone, maybe I'll someday buy a Pocket PC Phone Edition if they get thin and cheap enough, but for now, I stick with my SmartPhone :-)