View Full Version : Dell Smartphone?

mar2k
09-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Was it my imagination or did I read somewhere that Dell will eventually offer a Smartphone?

brntcrsp
09-16-2003, 04:40 AM
I thought it was going to be a PPCPE device. integrating either GSM or CDMA modules.

David McNamee
09-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Dell Readies New PDA, Smartphone (http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/26/HNaxim_1.html)

Based on the article, it would seem they haven't really decided to do it. I would be stunned if they released anything soon even if they had. Heck, they still don't have their own Tablet PC yet.

JordanMills
10-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Heck, they still don't have their own Tablet PC yet.
Dell refuses to release a Tablet PC because Michael swears that tablets are going nowhere and it would be a net loss. Several former Dell people started Motion Computing ( http://www.motioncomputing.com/ ) and are now making a killing with some very good tablets. As I understand, Dell employees are not even allowed to talk about tablets on company time. I think Michael is a tad ashamed of this decision and is trying to hide it.

David McNamee
10-20-2003, 11:19 PM
I think Michael is a tad ashamed of this decision and is trying to hide it.
He should be. So should IBM. The Tablet PC has dramatically changed the way I work. Combine it with my Smartphone, and my entire competing experience is very different from this time last year. IBM an Dell could make killer Tablets. It's a shame, really.

spg
10-21-2003, 12:05 AM
I think Michael is a tad ashamed of this decision and is trying to hide it.
He should be. So should IBM. The Tablet PC has dramatically changed the way I work. Combine it with my Smartphone, and my entire competing experience is very different from this time last year. IBM an Dell could make killer Tablets. It's a shame, really.
It really is a shame. This has been the talk of the Tablet PC world for a while now. It seems we may be getting close to an IBM Tablet PC though, rumors place an announcement sometime this fall. No rumors regarding Dell yet though, but then again it is Dell's style to stay out of new markets (look at how long it took them to come out with a Pocket PC).

I've got the Tablet PC part of the equation down, haven't gotten myself a Smartphone yet though. The MPx200 is really begging me to buy it when it comes out though. :-)

greenmozart
10-21-2003, 03:33 AM
I like the idea of a tablet, but I don't think my work-style calls for one. I'm not in meetings very often so the purpose is lost on me. Can anyone point out some reasons for getting a tablet OTHER than taking lots of meeting notes? Perhaps this belongs in another thread - move me if necessary. :)

David McNamee
10-21-2003, 03:50 AM
I like the idea of a tablet, but I don't think my work-style calls for one. I'm not in meetings very often so the purpose is lost on me. Can anyone point out some reasons for getting a tablet OTHER than taking lots of meeting notes? Perhaps this belongs in another thread - move me if necessary. :)
I don't know if I have the rights to move a threat over into Spencer's forum :D That's probably the most appropriate spot for this discussion.

I will say - before reprimanding myself for letting a thread to drift - that I use my Tablet PC more outside of meetings than I do in meetings. I do a lot of reading on the tablet. I also do a lot of writing, a lot of rough design sketches, and a lot of drawing during presentations where a whiteboard is either unavailable or inconvenient. Plus, all of the normal stuff like e-mail, web surfing, etc.