View Full Version : SOLD!!!: My 2wk old Mitac 8380+Extras??? ($560/£350)

encece
09-12-2003, 04:00 AM
EDIT: Added to Ebay HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3047015988&category=41350&rd=1)

I love the phone....I hate T-Mobile. No service in my home where I work and need my phone. (I'm in the US/Philadelphia Area). I need to switch to Verizon and quickly! I may get an i700 under Verizon until the i600 Smartphone comes out. Then I'll see which direction I'll go. I've been having an itch to move back to PPCs anyway.
==============================================
I just paid $560 for the phone....BRAND NEW.
Everything is included....including the original packaging.

The phone is SIM Unlocked and recently Application Unlocked via a new ROM. So far...it has run all software that I have installed with no problems. My only gripe is with TMobile...not the phone.

I'm waiting for two pc-mobiles.net Sync & Charge USB cables to come in the mail with a car adapter as well. $44.00 value....yours FREE.

Also included...a Samsonite Universal PowerAdaper (the phone comes originally with a UK/HK adapter only) $15.00 value....yours FREE.

$560 + Shipping.

Any takers???

Email me at [email protected]

mar2k
09-12-2003, 11:00 PM
I'd buy it if I thought I could make it work on Cingular GSM in Georgia. I think I'll wind up having to wait until 850/1900 band Smartphones hit the US market to be sure. T-mobile doesn't cover some of the rural areas I work in.

encece
09-12-2003, 11:29 PM
It's not a T-Mobile Phone. The phone is unlocked for all networks. It will work on Cingular GSM as well.

T-Mobile is not good in my area. That's why I'm selling the phone. If you have Cingular GSM....and you're happy with your coverage, the phone should work perfectly.

mar2k
09-13-2003, 02:05 AM
If I knew there was a solid GSM 1900 coverage area it would be one thing, but if its GSM 850 I'm screwed - I'll wind up roaming on T-Mobile all the time :roll: At this point I don't have a GSM phone or I might be able to test it. Its a shame that all new GSM phones aren't quad-band 850/900/1800/1900, making them TRUE world phones, we could buy them from anywhere if that were the case.

Cingular coverage is decent for me, at least TDMA is, but the main reason I stay with them is you can buy their phones for full retail and have no contract. AT&T and Verizon make you sign a one-year deal no matter what. I want to buy the i600 Samsung Smartphone when it comes out but I've already tried to buy Verizon's phones for full retail with no contract with no luck. They make you sign a one year deal no matter what to activate the phone. I don't want to be stick with a contract once the Windows Mobile 2003 phones with the latest processors start hitting the US. Competition is great, but it totally sucks that we have the competing technologies in the US.

encece
09-14-2003, 11:24 AM
SOLD! - US$560! - Nice!

TomB
09-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Nick, great answer! As far as PTV and PMVP, are you saying that both programs will allow fullscreen playback at 176 x 220 (fullscreen) x 24fps or do you have to decimate the file (12fps)? Also are you compressing at 176 x 220 or at a lower resolution and stretching the file for fullscreen? Do you have to rotate the file during compression or do both programs do that on the fly? Does rotation affect playback speed? At about 150Kb/s what is the picture quality on action films? Without getting into a big which is better fight - as far as quality display and framerate which format do you recommend MPEG1 or AVI (MPEG4)?

BTW- I'm sorry but I missed your sale. I am in NYC - can you tell me where these unlocked phones are available and if they would work with AT&T or Sprint? Thanks!

brntcrsp
09-15-2003, 06:34 PM
I can answer your last question, Tom. The Mio will work with the ATT network, but not Sprint's network. Once again competing technologies are at work.

encece
09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Yup...the smartphones are only GSM so far....until the i600 comes out under Verizon and possibly Sprint which both run CDMA networks.

Your option for GSM carriers in the US are:
T-Mobile
ATT
Cingular
as far as I know.

I'll reply back later about the video. That's a longer reply and I have to go for now. I'll post tonight as best I can.

TomB
09-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info - encece I look forward to hearing your feedback. Here's a general question - can anyone explain the difference between GSM and CDMA networks? Just different setups or is one clearly better? Digital? High data rates?

encece
09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
That could be a long drawn out post and a matter of opinion as well.
Try searching GSM vs CDMA on google. You'll find a ton of comparisons.

TomB
09-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Encece, thanks you are right about a lot of discussions, but if you don't know what you are looking for it isn't as easy as it sounds.

WARNING- I AM A NEWBIE just repeating what I have read on this:

From what I gather, CDMA seems to be superior with inexpensive high speed digital access (Sprint) but this could be 100% wrong based on my newbie level of understanding. On the other hand, GSM seems to be the format most in use in the USA. And from what I have been told, AT&T is going to boost speed of "mMode" and cut costs to better compete with Sprint (CDMA).

Hope I haven't screwed up too much. NOW encece don't forget to post your results and experience with video!

encece
09-16-2003, 06:38 AM
From what I gather, CDMA seems to be superior with inexpensive high speed digital access (Sprint) but this could be 100% wrong based on my newbie level of understanding. On the other hand, GSM seems to be the format most in use in the USA. And from what I have been told, AT&T is going to boost speed of "mMode" and cut costs to better compete with Sprint (CDMA).

Hope I haven't screwed up too much. NOW encece don't forget to post your results and experience with video!
You have to be care ful what you read. If the author is based in Europe...they'll probably lean towards GSM. If they are in the US...they'll probably lean towards CDMA. I believe CDMA is the dominant standard in the US as it is the oldest. GSM is relatively new in comparison. If you look at coverage maps in the US, GSM barely covers the US....mainly just urban areas. Verizon and Sprint dominate here.

T-Mobile has cut costs dramatically to comete in the US, including unlimited data for $19.99/month. Their voice plans are the best around. I had 5000 Anytime minutes with No Roaming or Long Distance for $99.00/month. Nobody could compete with that. But they have since dropped that plan for more expensive plans. They're still trying to get their foot in the door in most markets and have to lowball to do it.

They may have excellent coverage in many areas and are probably the biggest GSM provider in the US. But GSM is too spotty for me. Until they get better service, I'm sticking with CDMA.

Cingular just switched to GSM and still have a TDMA network as well.

ATT had GSM now...I don't know what their original standard was.

But in the end, Sprint & Verizon rule the US with CDMA. If I had to bet, I'd bet that CDMA was here to stay...especially with all of the new features Sprint & Verizon are providing to compete with the funkier functions for GSM. And their 1xRTT Data does seem a bit faster to me over GSM's GPRS.

But in the end....what works best in your area and the areas that you travel. Verizon is my choice. Their phones stink...but that seems to be changing. Sprint is okay in my area as well. TMobile is good in Philadelphia...but spotty elsewhere in the burbs. I wont even consider ATT, but I hear their GSM is much better than their older service. And I don't hear anything bad about Cingular around here but a very low percentage of my peers use it so that must mean something.

-Nick

PS.
I'm trying to make time for the vid thing....I'll get to it. I promise.

TomB
09-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Nick, Thanks. There is no way someone new could figure that out from the discussions out there and salesmen's spiels. I will be at TechXNY today so if you have any questions post them here this morning. I will check the board from Javits and will try and get you feedback from the manufacturers! Also, for those of us looking, where do you get state-of-the-art phones like the Mitec? Did you have to buy in Japan?