View Full Version : Authentication Free email?

goofy166
08-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Does any one know of a mail service that does not require authentiation? I have domain names at brinkers, dotster, earthlink and broadview and everyone of them needs autentication, so I can't send email from the smartphone.

How about MSN mail. Will that allow mail without authentication?

Mike Temporale
09-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Most mail servers require authentication in one form or another, to send email. You'll have a hard time finding an open server. If you do happen across one, the spammers will be using it too. Which means it will be black listed.

Your best bet it to look for a server that uses "Pop before SMTP" as their authentication method. It's not the best autentication, but some use it. Or you could setup your own server.... ;)

Another place to check is your ISP, or in this case your carrier. Usually they offer open SMTP to IP's inside their networks.

encece
09-04-2003, 03:23 AM
I use Comcast Cable High Speed Internet.
Their email works just fine on the Smartphone.

encece
09-04-2003, 03:25 AM
MSN uses hotmail (webmail) not POP3.
They used to have a way of converting your account to POP3, losing all of your webmail access...but I don't know if they still offer that, nor do I remember if it was authenticated SMTP or not....if I had to guess, I'd say it was.

goofy166
09-04-2003, 05:12 AM
I have a comcast account and they require SMTP authentication for sending email. I live in the SF Bay area in California. Are you sure you can send mail using your comcast account on a smartphone?

encece
09-04-2003, 06:08 AM
100% sure.
Just checked...I do have SMTP Authentication checked.
But it does work....Thru T-Mobile GPRS Connection.

The problem with those like earthlink isnt the SMTP Auth....it's the port 25 problem. Here is some info....
http://www.postcastserver.com/html/port_25_blocking.html

But Comcast is my only email account. So I'm 100% sure.

pop.comcast.net
smtp.comcast.net

goofy166
09-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Im a little confused. I just put my comcast settings into my Smartphone email and I still can't send. I use T-Moble as well. Do I understand all you doing is using the basic pop settings for your email on the smartphone? Is this what you have:

[email protected]
pop: mail.comcast.net (port 110)
smtp: smtp.comcast.net (port 25)

and that allows you to send a email from your phone?

Mitch

encece
09-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I use pop.comcast.net & smtp.comcast.net

Yes it does, though I don't know where you are specifying your ports.
What kind of phone do you have? Are you using a Smartphone or a PPC Phone? Because there is nowhere to specify ports on the Smartphone.

goofy166
09-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Im using SunnySoft's Mailcenter, a great little program. I don' think the ports are an issue. I am stumped how you are able to send mail from your phone's comcast account and I can't. What state are you in?

encece
09-06-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm in NJ using the standard Inbox (I only use 1 mail account).
Since I receive more that send...I checked again to see if they changed anything. It still works. That's how I send pics to my Moblog.

Try via the regular inbox. M<aybe it's an issue with MailCenter.

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 02:17 AM
encece, Do you always check email before sending? ( I don't have a smartphone, so you'll have to forgive me if it's not even possible to send without checking. ) The reason I ask is because Comcast could have set the server to only allow sending of email from IP's that have authenticated (checked pop) recently.

Another thing to consider is the From address. Encece, is your from address your comcast email address?? Goofy, if Enecece is using his comcast email in the from field, then they could be restricting outgoing email to only those addresses that are from valid users.

These are basic authentication methods that they could be using, and might be causing you to have problems.

encece
09-07-2003, 03:33 AM
I dont believe there is an option to choose to send or receive first. So that's not it. And yes, my email return address is listed the same as the account. Strange.

Unless Comcast on the west coast is using a different system than Comcast on the East coast.

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 03:49 AM
And yes, my email return address is listed the same as the account.

Goofy, what's your from address set to?

goofy166
09-07-2003, 04:22 AM
I have my settings like this:

reply address: [email protected]
username: [email protected]

I tried using the regular Phone email program instead of sunnysoft, same result, I get an error message after I do a send recevia and my message is still in the out folder:

"The message could not be sent. Verify that you have network coverage and that your account informatoin is correct and then try again."

I am able to receive mail from all my accounts just fine.

If there was a t-mobile user out here on the west coast using comcast it might help us figure this out, because its looking ot me like its a network problem.

I know for sure that from my home PC I MUST use authenticatoin to send so I am assuming the phone network expects the same thing

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 04:34 AM
I would edit out your _ACTUAL_ email address before the spam engines pick it up. 8O

It sounds to me like the servers are configured differently. Everything else looks the same. Does your work or school email servers require authentication? You might be able to send through one of those.

goofy166
09-07-2003, 05:16 AM
Blue thanks for the reminder about spam sucking free loaders.

Yes it must be the server configuration. I guess things are more laid back on the east coast 8)

Every one of my ISPs requires autnetication. I wish I could find a single ISP that doesn't require it. So even with 4 email accounts I can't send.

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 10:49 AM
guess things are more laid back on the east coast 8)

Or Comcast is implementing outbound authentication and has started on the west coast.... ;)

I got one more thing to try, just to make sure it's not a config issues. If you PM me your actual email address, I'll add it to the allow list on my email server, and we'll see if that works! It should. Or course if it doesn't, I have no idea where the problem would be.

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Everything is setup. Try it from your desktop first, and then if everythign works (which is should) try it from your phone.

let us know how it goes!

goofy166
09-09-2003, 12:23 AM
So in experimenting I discovered that indeed Smartphone email DOES ALLOW AUTHENTICATION.

Its under Options->Send. No one here seemed to notice it. Of course it might not make any difference but I will give it a try.

encece
09-09-2003, 12:55 AM
100% sure.
Just checked...I do have SMTP Authentication checked.

Ummm.....seems we could have cleared this up at the beginning of the thread if you didnt miss this part.

Mike Temporale
09-09-2003, 01:03 AM
So in experimenting I discovered that indeed Smartphone email DOES ALLOW AUTHENTICATION.

Its under Options->Send. No one here seemed to notice it. Of course it might not make any difference but I will give it a try.

Interesting.... Well, since I don't have smartphone there was no way for me to know that. ;)