View Full Version : T616 vs. Tanager: Fight!

Jason Dunn
08-18-2003, 11:33 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://n1s.typepad.com/journal/2003/08/t616_vs_tanager.html' target='_blank'>http://n1s.typepad.com/journal/2003/08/t616_vs_tanager.html</a><br /><br /></div>The blog "no one special" has published an interesting comparison between the <a href="http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=T616_Explore&B=ie&PID=10076&LM=PSM_V&gal=105&start">Sony Ericsson T616</a> and a Tanager Smartphone running Smartphone 2003 (!). It's an interesting comparison - the Smartphone does well on many counts, but ultimately doesn't seem to fit the lifestyle of the writer. I had to chuckle though at the part where he says the fact that the T616 is poor at checking email was actually a blessing in disguise. ;-) Here's a quote where he talks about the hardware - go check out the full article for more.<br /><br />"hardware: hardware design has never been a strong point for windows mobile licensees. the t616 is about 1/3 smaller than the tanager, but its screen is still pretty big. it's small enough that it fits easily in the change pocket of my jeans. its rectangular shape means it fits nicely in my front pockets without any unsightly bulges and without falling sideways. the shape is very pleasing too, it's one of those well designed pieces you just want to fondle. the joystick on the t616 is nicer, as are the feel of the buttons. and the t616 adds bluetooth and a camera, two very serious omissions in current smartphones. the bluetooth allows me to wirelessly sync to my mac as well as use my jabra headset, and with the camera i can finally moblog (see email client too). despite reports to the contrary, reception on the t616 is just as good as the tanager (they're both really good). the t616's one harware weakness is the screen. both screens are amazing indoors, but outdoors the tanager has more contrast. not a lot more contrast, but it is better. despite the weaker screen, the t616 is the clear winner here."

medic119
08-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Have a T-610 (same as T616 except its for T-Mobil not Cingular).
BT is great and work simply enough. The camera really blows. They dropped the ball here. Max res is only 352x288 (weird dimesion, huh).

Its also not an open platform like Smartphone is. That means Sony,T-Mobile, Congular, et al feel free to rape the consumer for any software add-ons, including ringtones.

The screen is fine to me, not transflective, but its bright without ghosting etc. I wish there were an option to disable the Screen saver/dim/off mode when plugged into a charger though.

All in all I like the 610, but I'd swap for a Tanager any day.

freitasm
08-19-2003, 04:07 AM
I've tried the T610 (non-US T616) and it's a pretty weak phone. It's not even a smartphone. The Nokia 3650 is much better and it's a smartphone.

Again, I've seen the Tanager running Windows Mobile 2003 and I like it more than the Nokia 3650 - but will not buy one until it has Bluetooth.

I use a Jabra headset, I sync over Bluetooth, I even share the cable modem connection to my mobile over Bluetooth.

No Bluetooth on MS Smartphone = No buy for me. :?

RDC
08-19-2003, 04:00 PM
...I even share the cable modem connection to my mobile over Bluetooth.

Whoa. Sweet.

marlof
08-19-2003, 06:54 PM
That means Sony,T-Mobile, Congular, et al feel free to rape the consumer for any software add-ons, including ringtones.

Huh? There are tons of free midi files out there, all ready to be played. It doesn't beat a .WAV file, don't get me wrong, but you're not locked in.

The screen is fine to me, not transflective, but its bright without ghosting etc. I wish there were an option to disable the Screen saver/dim/off mode when plugged into a charger though.

Try taking a picture with the sun behind you, shining on the screen. It's pretty hard to figure out what will be included in the picture. Just like in my old 548 days, I find myself finding shadows again. But then again, a true geek like me hardly spends time in the full sun.

All in all I like the 610, but I'd swap for a Tanager any day.

As soon as there's Bluetooth and a camera in a Smartphone, I'm there too. For me, the T610 is a little too limited to carry standalone, so I'm always bringing the HP 2210 as well. But having the choice between Tanager, the 3650 and the T610, the T610 won, since I'm heavily depending on Bluetoooth and GPRS for my daily internet connection. I didn't want the 3650 since it is simply too big for what it offers.

All very subjective, yes, and that's why those phones all sell pretty well. :D

marlof
08-19-2003, 06:58 PM
I had to chuckle though at the part where he says the fact that the T616 is poor at checking email was actually a blessing in disguise.

Actually, I think Eric hit the nail on the head with this. Not from a technology point of view of course (more is better) but from a sociological point of view. Since we are able to check e-mail whenever we want, we geeks have a tendency to do that. While not checking your e-mail once in a while, and going unconnected might sound frightening, it's tons of fun. I find myself leaving all gadgets at home on a regular basis now, and just having fun.

freitasm
08-19-2003, 09:15 PM
...I even share the cable modem connection to my mobile over Bluetooth.

Whoa. Sweet.

Yes. "Where's my Pocket PC?" Can't find. Have the mobile phone connected to the Bluetooth network instead. Check e-mails, the next TV show, IMDB.

Very cool. And no GPRS charges.

I want to see the next MS Smartphone with Bluetooth. Then I'll buy it.

medic119
08-19-2003, 09:52 PM
I could really care less about the POS Camera. I have taken pictures with the sun behind me (only way to get a marginally acceptable picture), and I have no problems seeing the screen. Granted its washed out (I had a 568 as well), but I can figure it out.

I am learning to like the BT accessibility! :) Especially since I have the T-Mobile unlimited plan.

I wasn't awre the T-610's sounds were just MIDI Files. I guess I should pay more attention when I browse the phone. My point being that the Companies will squeeze every last cent out of yu for even the simplest of add-ons. With MS Smartphones, there is some competition due to the open standards, etc keeping prices reasonable since you aren't tied to the provider/manufacturer for apps and add-ons.

marlof
08-20-2003, 06:27 AM
I could really care less about the POS Camera.

Yes. It is a POS, and takes lousy pictures, with a lot of strange things happening to the colors. But it's fun to send pictures to people of places you visit by e-mail. Not because of the quality of the picture, but because a picture can say more than words.

My point being that the Companies will squeeze every last cent out of yu for even the simplest of add-ons.

Well... I don't think the Tanager and the Mitac share the same ports, so you'd have to buy a second keyboard etc. for those too. As for software: yes, the Smartphone or Symbian is more open than the T610. But the T610 is not really a Smartphone in the way that you'd add tons of software to it. It does what it does, and not a lot more. All most people will add are Java (open platform) and Mophun (sort of open) games to this phone. One thing I find too bad is that the T610 doesn't include the necessities to add a Messenger client to the phone. I'd love to have one of those on my next phone (probably an SPV2, if/when they come out).