View Full Version : Play with Smartphone 2003 Emulator

Kris Kumar
08-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Well since we dont have any 2003 phone in the mkt...Emulator is the only way to check out the features.

But I hate to run the Emulator thru the VC environment. I prefer direct command line execution.

So here is how its to be done...(wish MS had done a better job describing the process)

1. Download the Smartphone 2003 SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a6c4f799-ec5c-427c-807c-4c0f96765a81&displaylang=en) from Microsoft site. (If the link does not work, look for the SDK in the Mobile Developer Downloads (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/default.aspx) area.
2. I installed via the custom option, and chose not to install VC 4, coz I have VC3, and I am developing on it. Didnt want a clash !!
3. Well once the stuff is installed.
4. You will find the contents in \Program Files\Windows CE Tools\
5. Lets create a shortcut on ur desktop or wherever. In the shortcut TARGET put the following line (include the quotes, and correct the path/drive if required)

"C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common\Platman\bin\Emulator.exe" /CEImage "..\..\..\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\SP_2003_WWE_VIRTUAL_RADIO.bin" /skin "..\..\..\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\Smartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml" /MemorySize 64 /Ethernet true

6. In the shortcut START IN type in the following (this is usually put in automatically by the shortcut creation wizard)

"C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common\Platman\bin"

7. Now Double click the shortcut to Run the Smartphone Emulator

8. Njoy..but wait...

9. The first thing u want to play with is IE, after all thats the biggest improvement.
10. To use ur regular ethernet connection, u will have to add a Proxy Connection.
11. Settings->Data Connections->Menu->Edit Connections->Proxy Connections
12. Menu->Add
13. Enter Description
14. 'Connects from', select 'Work'
15. 'Connects' to, select 'Internet'
16. Proxy info if u need it
17. Done->Done->Done
18. Change 'Intenet Connection' from 'Automatic' to 'Netcard'

19. Now u can njoy...

Hope u guys find this useful...

Kris

Update: Added download links for the SDK. :-) Can't believe I never included them in my original post.

brntcrsp
08-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Kris or anyone else, does the Emulator include T9 predictive entry? I despise multiple presses to get the words I want.

Kris Kumar
08-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Better, u can use the keyboard to enter text...

smartphone2002.info
08-18-2003, 12:41 PM
I've tried this on my laptop but if I install only the SDK there is no C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common path. :-(

Kris Kumar
08-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Oops...looks like no two installs are the same...

Looked into it...

And it seems the Smartphone SDK is Smart enough to sense if Developer tools like Visual Studio .NET or EVC are installed. And installs the common components accordingly.

So depending on what u have already installed on your system, the location of the Emulator.exe will change.

So here some modifications to my original steps.

Lets modify Step 5.

5A. Search for Emulator.exe in your "program files" folder. And note down the path. I have come across two paths for Emulator.exe
(when SDK was installed on a system with VS .NET 2003)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\Emulator.exe
(when VS .NET 2003 was present on the system)
C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common\Platman\bin\Emulator.exe
(note: if u have EVC 4 already installed, it might be at a third location)
5B. Create a shortcut. In the TARGET supply the following.
"<pathtoemulator>\Emulator.exe" /CEImage "<pathofimage>\SP_2003_WWE_VIRTUAL_RADIO.bin" /Skin "<pathtoimage>\Smartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml" MemorySize 64 /Ethernet true

<pathtoimage> should be something like "C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation"

6. In the shortcut START IN type in the following
"<pathtoemulator>"

NOTE: Replace the item in <> with the path on ur system.

Also NOTE: U might find that becoz of the long paths, the whole command line may not fit in the shortcut TARGET box. So u may have to convert the long path to shortpath e.g. "c:\Program Files" will be "C:\Progra~1"..the exact short path may differ based on system.

Overall running the Emulator from Command Line is painful the first time. But once setup its great.

Hope this works out for u. Let us know.
Kris

brntcrsp
08-18-2003, 04:57 PM
here's the code I used in a batch file because the target is too long for shortcuts.

@echo off

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\ConnectionManager\Bin\Emulator.exe" /CEImage "..\..\..\..\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\SP_2003_WWE_VIRTUAL_RADIO.bin" /skin "..\..\..\..\Windows CE Tools\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\Smartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml" /MemorySize 64 /Ethernet true

Kris Kumar
08-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Wonderful...totally forgot about batch files :-)

Converting long path to short path is a pain...

Thx

Wuss912
08-18-2003, 06:34 PM
NOTE:
this does require Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 installed with Service Pack 2 and/or Visual Studio .NET 2003
:evil:

brntcrsp
08-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Fortunately eVC 4.0 is a free download, and all mobile development tools can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/developer/default.mspx

hmcheung
08-19-2003, 04:47 AM
thanks kris for the trick!

this is the one that I use:

"F:\Progra~1\MICROS~2.NET\COMPAC~1\CONNEC~1\Bin\Emulator.exe" /CEImage "F:\Progra~1\WINDOW~2\wce420\SMARTP~1\EMULAT~1\SP_200~2.BIN" /skin "F:\Progra~1\WINDOW~2\wce420\SMARTP~1\EMULAT~1\SMARTP~1.XML" /MemorySize 64 /Ethernet true

just a reminder, we can use dir /x in command prompt to get the 8.3 format directory name ~ :lol:

Kris Kumar
08-19-2003, 04:58 AM
we can use dir /x in command prompt to get the 8.3 format directory name

Bat files. Dir /x commands...simple tools...but didnt strike me...this is what I love about discussion threads... so many sources..so much potential.

Another thing that Bat files and Dir /x commands remind me of is...

At the MDC this year...Bill Gates in his key notes mentioned how developers had over the years have forgotten about writing fast/small efficient code becoz processor and memory is so in-expensive..And with Smartphones, developers have to start thinking about those things again..we have completed a cycle.

And seems like after getting used to using Windows/Shortcuts/Menus...I will have to go back to DOS to be a good Smartphone developer...complete cycle...now if only I can find my DOS manual :-)

brntcrsp
08-22-2003, 07:05 PM
back to the T9 deal - I know we can use the keyboard for input, but I hoped to test out the Smartphone's implementation of T9. I use it frequently on my ancient TDMA phone, and I want to compare the two.