View Full Version : When is a Smartphone Not so Smart?

Jason Dunn
08-14-2003, 08:55 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3948.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3948.html</a><br /><br /></div>Anthony Newman has put together a nice rant over at infoSync, and it's all about the lack of any backup software for the Smartphone:<br /><br />"Microsoft are probably best known for their cock-ups, and it's certainly true that they made a few in the first iteration of their smartphone product, Smartphone 2002. Sure, it is impossible to resend a text message should it fail, and to create playlists in Windows Media Player, and to browse the file system without a third-party program - all true. But these are all pretty minor gripes compared to a much greater menace. <br /><br />That menace is the lack of a proper backup solution for Smartphone 2002, and it's a problem that stems from treating the SPV and its brethren as phones, not as PDAs. When all of one's text messages and contacts are stored on a SIM card, there's no real problem other than theft to worry about. As soon as the phone itself becomes the repository for information - and in the case of smartphones, that is potentially a lot of information - then it is imperative that users have a way of painlessly backing up and restoring that information in the event of problems."<br /><br />Ouch! A little harsh there my dear Anthony. :wink: I don't know how much I agree with him - considering that everything on the phone is in Flash ROM, even when the batteries go dead, everything on the phone is safe. For the average user, I think that's enough security - needing to restore an image of a phone after a piece of software borks it is something that a reviewer would find useful, but would an end-user? Perhaps. I'd certainly like to see Sprite Software make a version of their backup application for the Smartphone, but would enough users need this to require Microsoft to make the investment? I'm not sure they would. However, as nasty as ActiveSync backup is, I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't offer it for the Smartphone. I wonder why not?

ppcsurfr
08-15-2003, 12:37 AM
Harsh!? :?:

I don't think Anthony is being harsh at all.

Obviously the Smartphone platform is lacking so much in its basic phone features... and come to think of it, it was designed to run on the GSM network...

Microsoft cannot do what Palm did in the past... They cannot say, "You don't need that feature until we can give it to you".

But here with the Smartphone platform, that is exactly what appears to have happened.

It is nice that Neil Enns visits this site frequently, and maybe they can pick up some things from real GSM users, or from those who heavily rely on mobile phones.

Just like I said in my previous posts, I love my Microsoft Powered Smartphone... and I hope that in some way I contribute in making the Smartphone more popular... And being awarded the MVP status for Mobile Devices doesn't mean being helpful to end users only, but also to Microsoft in order for them to improve on their product even more.

Here are some of the flaws that sometimes frustrate me.

1. You cannot send vCards or business cards via SMS. (standard for the most popular GSM phones)
2. You annot receive vCards or business cards via SMS
3. Failed Sending for SMS requires you to forward and clean up a message which is a tedious operation. Most if not all GSM phones can easily resend a failed message, and usually prompts the user immediately after a failed send.
3. There is no support for FAX.
4. When a number is embedded into the SMS, the user must have the options to either call, save, or send an SMS to that number... The Smartphone only has one of those options... to call the number. You cannot send an SMS to or save the embedded number immediately.
5. There is no option to edit number before calling. This is particularly useful when you have to include prefix numbers or simply changing the number itself. You chould be able to do this when in the Inbox or Call History at least.
6. While the Smartphone has call timers, it doesn't have the facility to manage call costs like normal GSM phones.
7. It doesn't have an SMS counter that counts total messages sent out. This is also used to monitor SMS sending as some telcos offer limited free SMS...
8. It doesn't have an auto key lock although the timed phone lock is a workaround, it is NOT the same as the auto key lock.
9. SMS prompt/alert for each SMS coming in... the current setup alerts you with the first SMS, but ignores the rest of the SMS following it. Normal GSM phones even alert you if you ignore SMS and leave it unread.
10. Replying to SMS with the original message intact... like email... with Inbox acting like an email inbox, I cannot believe that this is not even supported.
11. No automatic redial
12. No support for caller groups, which makes sending group SMS easier
13. Half-baked profile management. Profiles should also be able to manage Ringtones/alarms used.
14. Needs to put more priority on telephony functionality... which means when a call comes in, all resources must be immediately available so that the call can be accepted.
15. A standard EMS and MMS client. EMS support included in addition to MMS which is currently offered via 3rd party dev.

And of course, things that will put the Microsoft Powered Smartphone above the rest...

15. The ability to have a cut and paste option in the SMS or email Inbox.
16. The ability to handle multiple email accounts as well as separating the SMS inbox (coming soon)
17. A better Outlook Tasks (right now, we call this feature the guess your task feature - while it is there in te database, the display is definitely useless... and good that Developer One just came out with one that actually works...
18. Bluetooth!!!

Despite all these, I still love my Smartphone because it still does other things better than the rest of the phones out there. All I wish for is to be able to call it "my perfect device"... which may come a long way from now...

I really don't care if the next version isn't released this 2003... even if it gets released next year... as long as they really fix the whole thing.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Jason Dunn
08-15-2003, 05:18 AM
Harsh!? :?: I don't think Anthony is being harsh at all.
Obviously the Smartphone platform is lacking so much in its basic phone features... and come to think of it, it was designed to run on the GSM network...

Carlo, I agree with everything in your list - but Anthony only talked about backup in his article, and that's all I'm referring to in my post on it. Listing everything wrong with the Smartphone wasn't the purpose - talking about whether or not it needs a backup app was. :wink: Do other GSM phones have a backup utility built in? That's the real question.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that we're going to be implementing a new category called "Room for Improvement" where we will systematically target Smartphone flaws, examine user scenarios where there is a problem, and propose solutions if possible. I hope to have this live by the end of the month, and we'll be looking for huge amounts of feedback from readers, so your expertise will prove valuable.

goofy166
08-15-2003, 05:36 AM
I am glad you posted his comments, they are right on. He said in his complete article on the web site that the lack of a way to restore settings is another serious reason for a backup on a 1.0 device. I second that motion.

A backup program is a golden opportunity for a programmer right now.

Ramin
08-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Ouch! A little harsh there my dear Anthony. :wink: I don't know how much I agree with him - considering that everything on the phone is in Flash ROM, even when the batteries go dead, everything on the phone is safe. For the average user, I think that's enough security - needing to restore an image of a phone after a piece of software borks it is something that a reviewer would find useful, but would an end-user? Perhaps. I'd certainly like to see Sprite Software make a version of their backup application for the Smartphone, but would enough users need this to require Microsoft to make the investment? I'm not sure they would. However, as nasty as ActiveSync backup is, I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't offer it for the Smartphone. I wonder why not?

I read Anthony Newman's article on Infosync and I don't think he's being harsh. If Microsoft are serious about selling Smartphones to enterprise/corporate clients, it should have realised the importance of including ActiveSync Backup functionality. What happens if the Smartphone is misplaced/stolen/lost or if it's been dropped in water, or broken? Flash ROM doesn't really help, does it?

Does anyone remember Microsoft's "Steve Masters" video/case study, where Steve leaves his Smartphone at home and only realises it at the airport, but with his smartcard he's able to retrieve all his data (which had been backed up) on a newly loaned Smartphone?

No doubt this opens up opportunities to 3rd party developers. I'm also hoping that Sprite Software will have that backup utility ported to the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 platform.

talking about whether or not it needs a backup app was. :wink: Do other GSM phones have a backup utility built in? That's the real question.

Jason, since we're talking about Smartphones (which may be carrying important information, valuable data), I think it doesn't matter if other GSM phones have a backup utility built-in. Don't you think that a Backup utility is necessary? I think it is - especially on a Smartphone. :)

ppcsurfr
08-15-2003, 10:55 AM
There is a way to back up pertinent data...

Well, if you have Action Engine's Action Backup which I have on my SMART Amazing Phone (Tanager), I can back up my phone to a remote server and restore it using the reverse process.

Action Backup will let you backup the following information...

Contacts
Calendar
My Documents
SIM Data

While this process is not the same as backing up your data into an SD card... for really important information I think this is good enough.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Eciton
08-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi guys - glad my editorial could prompt some controversy ;).

Do other GSM phones have a backup utility built in? That's the real question.

Well, other smartphones do. The P800 certainly does, anyway: in fact, when you first insert it into the cradle it prompts you to back the whole device up. That's the way it should be. Furthermore, every Nokia phone that I've had for a while comes with a version of PC Suite that allows you to back up settings and text messages to the PC. These, although hidden within the program, are in fact lurking on your PC in a nice, friendly Access database. They're not even smartphones.

Smartphones take a step towards PDAs in functionality, and even though the data is safe in ROM, as you say, the increased complexity of these devices allows greater opportunity for borkage. Treating smartphones entirely as phones is a mistake, because they are not simple devices.

As I said in my editorial, I wouldn't mind the lack of a backup solution if I could drag-and-drop important stuff over in a universally-readable format. If my text messages were just that - text files - then all would be well. Obviously, a proper backup solution would be even better, and as a user of Sprite's Pocket Backup I'd love to have them introduce a Smartphone 2002 version. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that we're going to be implementing a new category called "Room for Improvement" where we will systematically target Smartphone flaws, examine user scenarios where there is a problem, and propose solutions if possible. I hope to have this live by the end of the month, and we'll be looking for huge amounts of feedback from readers, so your expertise will prove valuable.

That's a brilliant idea, Jason - I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with :)

Just to respond to ppcsurfr's comment regarding Action Backup / Orange Backup: that's all very well if you happen to be on the relevant network (which admittedly most people are). I use O2 in the UK on my SPV (pity my soul) and this feature, although in ROM, isn't available to me unless I move back to Orange. Besides, as funky as the idea of backing everything up to the network over GPRS sounds, it doesn't beat having a series of local backups, and furthermore I'd wager that it's a hell of a lot slower than doing a local backup, especially for heavy users with lots of contacts, appointments and messages.

Oh, and thanks to goofy166 and Ramin for agreeing with me so eloquently :)

Anthony

TANKERx
08-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Yes indeed, other smartphones do have a backup facility and I don't see why Microsoft should decide that one is not necessary for the Microsoft Smartphone.

Also, ppcsurfr's list of things that would set the smartphone above the rest are also on competing smartphones. Except for maybe the tasks application, Even the 7650 has Cut and Paste, Bluetooth and the ability to handle multiple e-mail accounts.

So maybe a future ROM upgrade will enable SPV users to do these? I'd like to think so.

There seems to be so many bells and whistles in the Microsoft smartphone, but the basic necessities seem to have been neglected. Please, someone get it right (though to be honest, I quite like the fact that the phone only alerts on the first SMS received).