View Full Version : Writing On Your...Smartphone?

Jason Dunn
08-14-2003, 03:57 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column030811.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column030811.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Jeff Kirvin has written a nice article that discusses the Smartphone from the point of view of a new user, and also that of a writer. It's a fair and balanced article - the Smartphone is a phone first, and a PDA second, so Jeff doesn't have excessive expectations for it. Check out the article! I've already told him about using the zero key to cycle through the T9 dictionary. :wink: <br /><br />"Microsoft's Windows Powered Smartphone is a great little PDA, but it's not everything a writer needs. Okay, I know that most of the folks that read the opening paragraph of this column thought, "Well, duh." But it's not as weird as it sounds. Keep in mind, it wasn't so long ago that the idea of writing extended text on a PDA was madness, madness I tell you! But now, almost every PDA comes with a word processor. Times and expectations change. Folks in Japan and Europe that communicate primarily through text messages now probably think nothing of thumbing out word after word. Just because it hasn't caught on here in the US doesn't mean it's not coming.<br /><br />I got a nice little surprise Wednesday morning of two weeks ago. I heard a knock on my door and when I went to answer it, I saw the Airborne Express truck driving away. There, at my feet, as a padded envelope containing my new (Möbius-branded) Microsoft Smartphone. It's the SPVx model, manufactured by HTC in Taiwan and sold in Europe by the wireles carrier Orange. It's GSM/GPRS-capable, with a 176x220 transflective screen and an SD slot on the side. I yanked the T-Mobile SIM card out of my XDA and popped it into the Smartphone, then turned it on..."

trachy
08-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah....we know....it worked just like it was supposed to, right? Your and your fancy Smartphone... :wink: