View Full Version : The Truth About Smartphone Memory

goofy166
08-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Lets get real.

How many people have installed applications on the Smartphone and watched how there Main memory is consumed? Main memory is where all the DLLs and program stuff for Windows gets sent.

On my phone I have 12.5MB of Main memory. and with just two major apps and a two small ones, 6.9 MB of this space is gone, leaving just 45% free. My built in Storage memory barely changes when I add apps, its 2MB total and I am only using 0.41 MB of it. My IPSM is 7.5 MB and I am using 2.7 MB of it, or 36%. If I add some large WAV files it rapidly disappears.

Now my 256MB SD card, which is where I told each application to be installed, is holding 14MB. so only 6% of it is consumed.

What is my point? That just adding a SD card will not allow you to run more apps. So in a way all that SD memory may not be useful if you think it's going to make your phone more powerful. Sure if you are playing music on your phone, and have only Media Player, I can see it, but then music doesn't sound so good to me on the phone (to me).

The bottom line is when the Main memory gets filled (and it fills fast) your phone will run like its been immersed in glue. So why spend a bundle on a large SD card?

I would like to hear other's experience on the way multiple applications affect the Main memory and performance of there phone.

Mitch

Gorskar
08-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Personally I filled up my 128MB SD card easily.
Approximatly half the space is used by mp3s, and the otehr half by apps and assorted nick nacks. (20Mb is used by Monkey Island for the PocketScumm emulator, which I keep meaning to complete)

Robert Levy
08-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Try turning your phone off and then back on. That will clear out all of the temporary stuff that is loaded into RAM. Does this improve things for you?

goofy166
08-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Turning my phone on and off recovers some of the Main memory but it appears to vary between 45% adn 65% used with my current apps. As I add more apps it descreases.

My hope in writing this was to find out what other people's Main memory looks like, and how many apps they store on there phones.