View Full Version : MSN Mobile access problems through their Smartphone

aussie
08-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Is any able to get to the mobile.msn.com/pocketpc site through the Smartphone IE browser. For some reason I was always able to get there before but now can't see the site. When I try to go there the page is found however does not display correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

encece
08-03-2003, 03:33 AM
I just tried it and It seems fine to me. What problems are you getting? What is not formatted correctly?

shareef
08-04-2003, 04:54 AM
works fine on my spv too..

ppcsurfr
08-04-2003, 02:52 PM
try typing out the URL...

http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc

Also, in the options of the Smartpone's IE, go to General and check Fit to Screen.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Kris Kumar
08-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Have u tried to 'clear the cache and cookies'..

aussie
08-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Still doesnt work on my Red-e

mobile.msn.com/pocketpc

brings up a screen that shows the following

MSN Mobile
MSN HotmailWindowsMedia.comMoney....etc

It appears to be the source HTML behind the site without the proper link tags or pictures. It is strange as I can pull up other sites without difficulty.

I appreciate the help.

aussie
08-07-2003, 01:26 AM
It seems it is landing on the WML version of the page and not the HTML version. The funny thing is that I booked mark a couple of Money Stock quote pages that still work but if I hit the MSN icon at the top left of the screen I get the WML MSN homepage (at least a poorly rendered version of same).

Once again, any help would be appreciated.

Kris Kumar
08-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Well another thing to check...since u mentioned WML rendering...

1. In ur Data Connection Settings, the GPRS connection u have created..there is a field that says "Connects to"..u can say 'internet' or 'wap network'..if u have specified try changing it to internet or creating a GRPS connection.

2. Not sure how this will help...but something to check out...

When u r viewing the page http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc...once the page is displayed on the screen...can u click the Right Button (labelled 'menu') and then click on 'Properties'...

This will display the page props..for me the 'type' is HTML document
and 'Protocol' is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol.

If urs says WML or WAP...then dont know what to do next...but we do know for sure that Smartphone IE is interpreting the page as WML or downloading the WML page.

3. Also I hope u have not turned of images/pictures in the IE options->general settings. But this setting would mess up the other pages...make them look ugly too..

aussie
08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
It is definately pulling the WML page up - as per the page properties. The connection is not set to the "wap network".

It continues to confound me.

Kris Kumar
08-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Mystery deepens :-)

Hmm so the page properties says WML type...

Another thing...is the 'Detect Connection Automatically' or something like that checked in the IE options -> Connection menu...well I guess I am throwing another thing at u to check. Mine is checked, I know they say it should be !!

aussie
08-08-2003, 12:56 PM
HOLD THE PHONE - I figured it out. :D

Some time ago I installed WebWAPSelect on the phone as I was trying (still am) to be able to surf WAP sites through the IE browser. The application didn't seem to work for what I wanted it to do so I simply forgot about it.

However one thing I forgot to reverse was that I had set my "header" to read as a WML phone instead of an SPV. This must have caused the incorrect web redirect to the WML version of the page.

After setting the header back to SPV all is good in the world.

Thanks Kris for you help in the quest I really appreciate it.

Kris Kumar
08-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Cool...

didnt know that u could tweak the device type information in the http packet headers...

Have Fun...
Kris