View Full Version : Teen Abduction Foiled By Cell Phone Camera

Robert Levy
08-02-2003, 03:09 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/08/01/camphone.abduction/' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/08/01/camphone.abduction/</a><br /><br /></div>Here's a great story about technology saving the day and putting creeps behind bars.<br /><br />"A quick-thinking 15-year-old boy used his Sprint cell phone camera to take pictures of a man who allegedly tried to lure him into his car, leading to the man's arrest, police said. <br /><br />The boy, who escaped from his alleged captor after a struggle, gave pictures of the man and his car license plate to police in Clifton [New Jersey] after the incident Tuesday. Armed with that evidence, police arrested William MacDonald, 59, of Passaic, on Wednesday."<br /><br />"After taking the pictures, MacDonald got out of the car and grabbed the boy's arm, police said. A struggle ensued, but the boy was able to escape and board a New Jersey Transit bus, which he rode through Clifton to nearby Paterson. His brother picked him up there, then took him to Clifton police headquarters. <br /><br />"He was able to have the presence of mind to utilize the technology at his disposal," Rowan said. "He was upset at the time, but he's OK. He has a bruise to his arm and wrist.""<br /><br />"A spokeswoman for Sprint, the manufacturer of the phone, says the incident is the first time -- as far as the company knows -- someone has used the year-old technology to foil a criminal."

Mike Temporale
08-03-2003, 02:51 PM
That's one brave and quick thinking 15 year old. :way to go:

I think we'll hear more stories like this as criminals realize that technology is watching them even when they don't expect it. With the increase of pocket size cameras and wireless data, it's very easy for a passer-by to capture images without anyone seeing.

TANKERx
08-04-2003, 10:09 PM
It helps if the camera is built into the phone with the software and hardware to do the job. You can hardly expect and abductor to wait for you to plug everything in and then pose while you make sure that the camera has caught him properly now can you. ;-)

Robert Levy
08-04-2003, 10:50 PM
It helps if the camera is built into the phone with the software and hardware to do the job. You can hardly expect and abductor to wait for you to plug everything in and then pose while you make sure that the camera has caught him properly now can you. ;-)

That was my thought when posting on the story but I couldn't think of a politcally correct way of saying it... the outcome wouldn't have been so fortunate if he were using an SPV

bitequator
08-05-2003, 04:38 AM
Another way politically incorrect comment, for some reason I'm reminded how in Japan there's supposedly rampant "naughty" hidden cam incidents, or some such :) Something about "upskirt" cam in parks or something, I forget...

Or maybe I was just thinking of an X10 ad :wink:

EDIT: Oh man, I just realized this is my first post. Can't believe this topic's how I'm starting out...