View Full Version : Developing for the SmartPhone under VS.NET

Mike Temporale
07-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Is it currently possible to develop applications for the SmartPhone 2002 OS using VS.NET 2002/2003? Almost all the information and examples I have found are dealing with eVC. I have seen a reference on a web site to using VS.NET, but can't find any information??

The SDK only seems to include support for eVC too? Is this possible yet?

Robert Levy
07-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Not yet - the next Smartphone OS will support .NET CF and have the runtime installed in ROM.

Mike Temporale
07-28-2003, 07:18 PM
So they only way to develop for the SmartPhone right now, is using eVC?? :x Any ideas when the 2003 SDK will be released? I'm sure it won't be until after the 2003 OS Launch. :?

Okay, is the Orange or Red-E phones capable of having a new ROM flashed to them? Is it possible that a carrier might make the new OS available for either of these devices once it's released?

David McNamee
07-28-2003, 07:50 PM
So they only way to develop for the SmartPhone right now, is using eVC??
Correct.
Any ideas when the 2003 SDK will be released? I'm sure it won't be until after the 2003 OS Launch.
No clue. The only people who might know are under NDA. However, the Pocket PC 2003 SDK was available a few weeks before the official OS launch date.
is the Orange or Red-E phones capable of having a new ROM flashed to them?
Capable - yes.
Is it possible that a carrier might make the new OS available for either of these devices once it's released?
Possible - yes. Everlink has been wonderful about dropping updates. That said, carriers and OEMs are not required to provide OS updates. See the threads on PocketPC Thoughts about the Toshiba nonsense.

Mike Temporale
07-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Is it possible that a carrier might make the new OS available for either of these devices once it's released?
Possible - yes. Everlink has been wonderful about dropping updates. That said, carriers and OEMs are not required to provide OS updates. See the threads on PocketPC Thoughts about the Toshiba nonsense.

I know that they aren't required. I have a iPaq 1910, and was lucky enough to be around for the 2002 upgrades released just to Compaq customers. But at least I now know that it is possible to upgrade the SmartPhones. Not like some of the original PPC2K devices.

I'm guessing that Everlink would be the most likely candidate to release an upgrade since they are marketing the device at developers and not end users like Orange.

That being said. If I was to purchase a device today, the Red-E would be a safer choice (only slightly, and based loosly on assumptions) because Everlink might release an update.

David McNamee
07-28-2003, 08:32 PM
If I was to purchase a device today, the Red-E would be a safer choice (only slightly, and based loosly on assumptions) because Everlink might release an update.

I would caution against that line of thinking. Everlink makes certain to remind people purchasing a dev kit that the unit is pre-production. They are making no promises about it being capable as a day-to-day phone. I'm not knocking Everlink or their product - I'm a happy customer. However, the phone is not currently positioned as a mass-market unit and is being sold to developers, people who can work through - and even expect - a few bumps.

If the Smartphone 2003 OS is that heavy an influence on your purchase decision, you might be happier if you wait for the OS to actually ship.

Robert Levy
07-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Fwiw, I was told by an Everlink rep at Tech Ed that they will be releasing a 2003 upgrade. Nobody else has said anything, but I expect them to do the same. Forcing existing customers to buy new devices (with the same functionality that the old devices could have) at subsidized prices does not benefit the carrier.

Mike Temporale
07-29-2003, 06:36 PM
If the Smartphone 2003 OS is that heavy an influence on your purchase decision, you might be happier if you wait for the OS to actually ship.

If I buy a smartphone for development purposes now, I would really like it to be upgradable if/when the new OS is released. Assuming the new OS is released before year end.

Developing in VS.NET is important to me. Having a common code base is a large factor.

David McNamee
07-30-2003, 03:44 PM
BlueRocket,

I guess my question would be are you developing to release now, or developing to learn? If it's just a learning experience, will the emulator be enough to hold you for a few months until the new OS ships? We can't do .NET development on Smartphone till then anyway.

Mike Temporale
07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Good question.

I have some thoughts and dreams of a couple applications that I would like to release. These can work for both the PPC and SmartPhone platforms. Hence my concern about .NET and a common code base.

I wouldn't say that I'm developing to learn, however there will be some learning to be done.

I think my current plan should be to focus on the PPC side, and once the OS/SDK is available for SmartPhone 2003, then I'll work at porting it.

I was thinking that the phone would start off being a way for me to get more familiar with the platform, and then I could use it for development. However I'm not going to risk dropping $500 US on a device that might be upgradable. If the new OS ships before the end of the year, I think I can wait until then.