View Full Version : "It's Just Not Here Yet"

Andy Sjostrom
07-28-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001274049_btdownload28.html' target='_blank'>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001274049_btdownload28.html</a><br /><br /></div>The Seattle Times has an article today which generally discuess technology rumours and such. A snippet of the article mentions Microsoft Smartphone: "Missing Smartphone: What happened to the long-awaited Smartphone from Microsoft and AT&T Wireless? The two companies announced plans to develop a Windows-powered Smartphone last July; at the time, AT&T Wireless Chief Executive John Zeglis said the device manufacturer would be revealed "very shortly." Microsoft said the Smartphone would ship in the first half of 2003. But so far, there is no Smartphone, and no manufacturer has been announced. A Microsoft spokeswoman said the phone will be out sometime this year, and there is no specific reason for the delay. "It's just not here yet," she said."<br /><br />First half of 2003 came and went. What do you think? Will it make it to the holidays? 8)

entropy1980
07-28-2003, 08:10 PM
What do you think? Will it make it to the holidays? 8)
Which holidays? 2004? :lol:

Mike Temporale
07-28-2003, 08:17 PM
What do you think? Will it make it to the holidays? 8)
Which holidays? 2004? :lol:

Noooooooo! Don't say that. :cry:

Personally, I think we'll be seeing something in the North American market around the end of September to mid October timeframe. Of course, this is only a guess. I hope that I'm wrong and there is something sooner. :wink:

sebset
07-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Why still no Smartphone in north America? :?
That's incredible...

David McNamee
07-28-2003, 08:37 PM
That's incredible...

The market is fundamentally different here than the rest of the planet. We're at the mercy of the carriers to introduce new handsets.

I'm convinced that the release of the updated OS will usher the devices into North America.

ShivShanks
07-28-2003, 11:44 PM
That's incredible...

The market is fundamentally different here than the rest of the planet. We're at the mercy of the carriers to introduce new handsets.

I'm convinced that the release of the updated OS will usher the devices into North America.

Yes the market is such that fundamentally we are screwed by the greedy carriers in the US. They do all kinds of anti-consumer things like not allowing SIM card like features in CDMA phones and not having them even in many GSM phones, fighting number portability (till late) etc etc. They hold so much power over when a cell phone will actually be introduced and can basically screw over any device launch in the name of "testing"/"trials" on their network.
Sometimes I wonder if some of these carriers are in cahoots with Symbian based phone mfrs and deliberately delaying Smartphone based phones so that newer Symbian based smartphones can come to market first. Quite frankly something stinks big time in this saga and I can bet the carriers are involved. It seems from MS's posturing that the Smatphone software has been ready for a long time for these North America carriers. Somehow for whatever reasons the carriers are just not launching. They just love screwing customers over.

encece
07-29-2003, 12:52 AM
I personally could care less when ATT gets a smartphone as NOTHING could make me switch to their terrible service.

But I do want the Smartphone officially here in the US.

Another vote from me for Microsoft to sell these thru different channels. I want to be able to go into a CompUSA and have my pick at a few different models of GSM Smartphones and a few CDMA models that I could just bring to my provider to activate. (This of course would be easier with GSM phones than CDMA.)

I don't need the Network to subsidise or support the phone. My SPV is working just fine under TMobile without either!

spg
07-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Another vote from me for Microsoft to sell these thru different channels. I want to be able to go into a CompUSA and have my pick at a few different models of GSM Smartphones and a few CDMA models that I could just bring to my provider to activate. (This of course would be easier with GSM phones than CDMA.)
Sort of the PDA type style of sales... I agree. I really don't care what phones my provider sells, I just want to be able to go pick my phone then choose a carrier that the phone will work on. Of course I may be in the minority here... it seems alot of people just want to get whatever phone they can get for free and get supported by whoever's commercials catch their eye... or ear (Can you hear me now? Good!).

(Edit: 100 posts! Great, now I've got me a tradition. Every 100 posts I get... Can you hear me now? Good! :lol: )

encece
07-29-2003, 02:59 AM
I guess that would be the jist (sp?) of this article.
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=3871

encece
07-29-2003, 03:03 AM
And congrats on the 100...coincidently Bob Hope was 100 as well!

peterawest
07-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Maybe this is what you're waiting for:

Motorola Reportedly Set To Release Microsoft Handset
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20030724S0011