View Full Version : Really Basic Smartphone Question of the Day

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 02:37 PM
OK, since I've never actually held a smartphone, and don't even really know much about them, I just wanted to ask this. I remembered hearing, or thinking, that smartphones don't have touchscreens. Is that true? If so, how would you navigate the interface? Also, if that's true, do all smartphones have keyboards, because they'd seem pretty necessary if there's no touchscreen... :)

mores
07-24-2003, 03:50 PM
true, ms smartphones don't have a touch screen. and they also don't have a keyboard. they're simply cellphones with a different operating system.

but that's the whole point of these things ... they're just like your regular smartphone, until you need to look up something in your calendar, or look up a contact, or even want to view videos on it.

it's a phone with PDA cababilities, and not a PDA with phone cababilities. if you want this, along with the size and weight, go for pocket-pc phone editions, like the XDA/MDA, or some PALM-OS based smartphones, or the sonyericsson P800. they all have touch screens. but they're not cellphones, they're personal digital assistants that are phone-enabled.

greenmozart
07-24-2003, 03:54 PM
You navigate using a joystick/joypad on the device. It's like navigating through menus on a regular cell phone, but on steroids. Also, all the menu selections are numbered so you can just use the keypad to make selections.

brntcrsp
07-24-2003, 04:16 PM
to continue with this thought, how does web browsing work? Say I go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/dt/upda-1.0-pocketpc/subst/aa/upda/home.html/002-9496387-0332815 which is what I use to browse amazon on the pocket pc. how do you move around the page? do you go from link to link using the joystick? is there a way to scroll and select a link?

greenmozart
07-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately I don't own one :( so I'll leave this to the lucky people who do.

David McNamee
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Hyperluminal,

On a web page, you can use the gamepad/joystick to scroll through the page. As it scrolls, it sets focus on the next hyperlink/button/check box/whatever else that is available. You "click" by pushing in on the joystick.

It works out pretty well. Your best experiences are going to be on sites that have mobile device-friendly versions.

BTW, you get used to not having a touchscreen in a hurry. UI navigation is much better on this than any other phone I've used.

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I've used Blackberries, so I know it can be done well.
Interesting.
So, can you enter data into the PIM programs? I'm assuming you can on the ones with keyboards, but what about the ones without? Can you just press the buttons repeatedly for each letter, or are they basically read-only?

David McNamee
07-24-2003, 09:26 PM
So, can you enter data into the PIM programs? I'm assuming you can on the ones with keyboards, but what about the ones without? Can you just press the buttons repeatedly for each letter, or are they basically read-only?

You use the numeric key pad. You can set them to use multi-tap or T9. With multi-tap, you press the 4 key three times to product the letter "i". T9, on the other hand, is a predictive text tool. To type hello, you would type 43556. If the key combination has multiple possible words associated, than you can scroll through the choices - usually using the + key. For example, 7833 could be rude, sued, or puff.

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks.
You really can see the different approaches MS is taking with the smartphones vs. the PPCPEs...

brntcrsp
07-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Hyperluminal,

On a web page, you can use the gamepad/joystick to scroll through the page. As it scrolls, it sets focus on the next hyperlink/button/check box/whatever else that is available. You "click" by pushing in on the joystick.

It works out pretty well. Your best experiences are going to be on sites that have mobile device-friendly versions.

BTW, you get used to not having a touchscreen in a hurry. UI navigation is much better on this than any other phone I've used.

David,
thanks for the comment on how browsing works. I was really afraid that it would be something like using lynx when you scroll the page mainly by following links.

As for input, I use T9 on my old ATT phone, so I see no problem as using that as a primary input method. Not that I would want to type a thesis on the thing, but T9 is pretty slick, and it works in the majority of cases.

David McNamee
07-24-2003, 10:08 PM
You really can see the different approaches MS is taking with the smartphones vs. the PPCPEs...

Sure can. I think the litmus test for a Smartphone feature is "can I use this feature with one hand?" That's a great idea for this platform.

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Sure can. I think the litmus test for a Smartphone feature is "can I use this feature with one hand?" That's a great idea for this platform.

I agree- that really is a great direction for the platform. By the way, can you run normal PPC apps on smartphones? Not that you'd really want to run a lot of them, because of the touchscreen, but is it possible?
I'm guessing no, but I'd like to find out for sure. :)

mcsouth
07-24-2003, 11:20 PM
ix-nay on the PPC software for smartphones - you need to use software that is coded specifically for the smartphone.

That being said, a lot of the familar PPC software developers have started porting their wares over to the smartphone, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding what you want.

I am curious to see how some of the developers handle users with multiple platforms, though. For example, I bought ListPro for my PPC - do I need to buy it again for my smartphone? This may vary from developer to developer, so I guess it will probably be a matter of asking!

David McNamee
07-25-2003, 01:01 AM
By the way, can you run normal PPC apps on smartphones?

For all intents and purposes, no. The applications need to be updated to work with the different user interfaces.

ppcsurfr
07-25-2003, 07:12 AM
You're not supposed to run PPC apps in a Smartphone... and while most of the time you can't... certain apps are still useable... an example is CE Remote Display (MS PowerToys for PPC) so that you can view your Smartphone Screen on youe PC's monitor...

While it works... it obviously lacks certain controls.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

spg
07-25-2003, 05:47 PM

I think that is true, and it is great that they are doing it that way. I for one don't really like the big Pocket PC or Palm phones where you usually have to use both hands to use it. That is one of the main things that makes the smartphone appealing to me, as opposed to a PDA phone.

ppcsurfr
07-26-2003, 09:05 AM

I think that is true, and it is great that they are doing it that way. I for one don't really like the big Pocket PC or Palm phones where you usually have to use both hands to use it. That is one of the main things that makes the smartphone appealing to me, as opposed to a PDA phone.

Well it definitely makes sense since you're using a TC1000 right?

A Smartphone looks like a great companion to it.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

spg
07-26-2003, 06:33 PM

Well it definitely makes sense since you're using a TC1000 right?

A Smartphone looks like a great companion to it.
Yes, I'm using the TC1000 (Soon to be M1300 as well). It certainly does look like it will be a good companion. Note taking (and PC functions) on TC1000, then the instant access to contacts, etc. on the phone.