View Full Version : Samsung Smartphone Coming Out "Shortly"?

Jason Dunn
07-21-2003, 04:23 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/21/HNsamsungphone_1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/21/HNsamsungphone_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>This article is focused on the release of the M400 in Korea, but the interesting part for us Smartphone fans is this brief line near the end:<br /><br />"While the MITs M400 is only for the local Korean market, a company spokesman said that Sprint PCS is due to roll out a Samsung multifunction smart phone in the U.S. shortly, and yet another smart phone is due out in Europe by the end of the year."<br /><br />That's got to be the i600, and while "shortly" is a little vague, I think it's worth getting excited about. :D

trachy
07-21-2003, 05:10 PM
I saw the pics of this thing over on PPCTs, and I have to say....WTF? That thing looks more like a full blown PPC-PE to me.

encece
07-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Are you saying the i600 looks like a PPCPE or the M400 looks like a PPCPE. Because it seems the M400 IS a PPCPE.

trachy
07-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Are you saying the i600 looks like a PPCPE or the M400 looks like a PPCPE. Because it seems the M400 IS a PPCPE.

I was describing the M400, though I think you're right. The Channel NewsAsia article calls it a 'smartphone' and not a SmartPhone', which lead me astray.

rbrome
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
The M400 is a full Pocket PC device. It's the souped-up 1xEV-DO version of the i700 design. In that context, I think it's pretty clear that the quote is referencing the SPH-i700 for Sprint, and the SGH-i700 for Europe. I think this actually has nothing to do with Smartphones.

ARW
07-21-2003, 06:27 PM
I think that perhaps Jason has gotten his hopes up, unfortunately over nothing this time. I've done it numerous times as I await a Smartphone running Microsoft's OS. Alas, I'm starting to think that it will never happen, at least for CDMA and at the very least won't be for quite a long time.

I've been tempted by the 7135 and am now thinking of it again. It's not perfect, but neither will a Samsung that lacks AMPS.

greenmozart
07-21-2003, 06:36 PM
They could also be refering to the i500, which has already been confirmed for an August release with Sprint, I believe.

Robert Levy
07-21-2003, 07:42 PM
I think that perhaps Jason has gotten his hopes up, unfortunately over nothing this time. I've done it numerous times as I await a Smartphone running Microsoft's OS. Alas, I'm starting to think that it will never happen, at least for CDMA and at the very least won't be for quite a long time.

It's right around the corner. The i600 is CDMA and was on display at Tech Ed not too long ago.

spg
07-21-2003, 08:28 PM

It's right around the corner. The i600 is CDMA and was on display at Tech Ed not too long ago.
The question is now... which corner is that? Like Jason said "shortly" doesn't give much information... with these type of companies that could be next week, or it could be holiday season. Still, looks like it is something to be looking forward to... :)

robcorn
07-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Robert, if it's right around the corner, and you know something we don't, how about letting some of know when, as we have been waiting since last August when the i600 was announced. It gets very tiring when people intimate delivery dates/times without backing them up with hard facts. Just my $.02 worth, no flaming necessary. :roll:

sebset
07-21-2003, 11:28 PM
Samsung Roadmap for European market

They say: "StingerG..." :D

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2003/image/sams2003/pic1.jpg