View Full Version : Pocket SlideShow for Smartphone Released

Jason Dunn
07-11-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnetx.com/smartphone/' target='_blank'>http://www.cnetx.com/smartphone/</a><br /><br /></div>"Pocket SlideShow, the award-winning PowerPoint viewer bundled with the first Orange SPV, is now available to all Smartphone users as a shareware product. Pocket SlideShow is an extremely compact yet powerful PowerPoint viewer for Smartphone devices. It is specifically tailored to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the Windows Powered Smartphone, thus extending the ability to review presentations anytime / anywhere. Pocket SlideShow implements an easy-to-use single-handed interaction paradigm, so users can browse quickly and effectively through their PowerPoint presentations on any Smartphone."<br /><br />If you've already got an Orange SPV, this won't be news to you, but if you have any other device and want to carry your PowerPoint presentations with you, this software is superb!

encece
07-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Does this do anything that a picture viewer wouldnt do....or possibly even Repligo?? If not...wouldn't Repligo be a better solution for your money as you can use it with mostly any other program?

Jason Dunn
07-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Does this do anything that a picture viewer wouldnt do....or possibly even Repligo?? If not...wouldn't Repligo be a better solution for your money as you can use it with mostly any other program?

Sure, it includes Powerpoint notes, animation, and you can reorder the images - and, most importantly, there's a desktop component that prepares the Powerpoint presentations into the right format. Without that, you'd have to save the presentation to PNG/JPG, then resize them all. This is a much more efficient solution. :D

I'm not sure how it would compare to Repligo - I suppose you could so something similar with it.

spg
07-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Pretty nifty application, but I don't see where I would use this even if I could get my hands on a smart phone. Sure it can display the slides, but personally I don't see much advantage in that since you have to have some other device to actually do a presentation. Maybe this is just me though.

ctmagnus
07-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Does PocketSlideshow let you create slide shows on the mobile device, or just view/display/edit them?

Just wondering, 'cuz I don't actually have PowerPoint installed on my desktop.

Edit: Ah, crap. You need PowerPoint to even convert existing slides to this format.

Robert Levy
07-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Pretty nifty application, but I don't see where I would use this even if I could get my hands on a smart phone. Sure it can display the slides, but personally I don't see much advantage in that since you have to have some other device to actually do a presentation. Maybe this is just me though.

I think this is a killer way to review your slides and practice your presentation prior to doing an actual presentation on a bigger display. Whenever I'm about to talk in front of a big group, I print out my slides and look over them as much as possible... with this app, my Smartphone could easily take the place of paper.

Chronos
07-15-2003, 03:19 PM

I've actually found similar apps useful in another way- when we train our sales team and other organizations internally, we'll typically share the presentations in advance to provide the attendees time to prepare. Nothing beats bringing along the presentation on a device such as this- a great tool to follow along with the presentation. I can review those builds that I missed and take better notes on paper.