View Full Version : Mobile Phone Use May Improve Men’s Memory

Robert Levy
07-09-2003, 02:56 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.health-news.co.uk/showstory.asp?id=114644' target='_blank'>http://www.health-news.co.uk/showstory.asp?id=114644</a><br /><br /></div>There's an interesting article over on health-news.co.uk which talks about recent experiments which were done to determine the effects of mobile phone usage on short- and long-term memory.<br /><br />"The first phase required the participants to sit in a secluded room where they were given an active or inactive mobile phone or no phone at all. They were then asked to place the phones to their left ears while they were given a set of instructions and words to memorise. Mobile phone exposure, for those who had them, lasted a full 15 minutes.<br /><br />The researchers found that the men who were given active mobile phones made fewer mistakes in word recall than men with inactive phones. Female participants seemed to be unaffected by the experience."<br /><br />Sounds a bit hokey to me, but what do you think? Did you personally notice any changes like this when you started using a mobile phone? And, of course, the big question that science has yet to tackle: Do Smartphones make you smarter?

David McNamee
07-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Here's the big question: were the active phones GSM or CDMA? :D

encece
07-09-2003, 04:02 AM
I remember back before I had a cell phone or PDA...back 10 years ago...or something like that.

I remembered 100's of phone numbers off of the top of my head. Probably because I hated going over to my old rolodex or because I went over it 1000s of times.

Literally 100's of numbers...like that! Business numbers, home numbers, addresses...everything!

Now, after using phones and PDAs for years...I can barely remember anyone's number. I haven't had to re-enter a phone number since I first wrote them into my Palm Pilot Professional...back when they were new!
I've been converting data and transferring them from one device to the next for years on over a ton of differnet models.

Either the phones/PDA made my memory worse or it was just bad timing as my memory loss coincides with me hitting the wall at 30! :D