View Full Version : Smartphone and Pocket PC?

ben865
07-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi,

Fantastic looking site!

A quick question for Jason or anybody else using both a Smartphone and a Pocket PC.

Do you sync both with the same set of Outlook data? If so does it work well?

I really like the look of the new version of the SPV (soon available here on Orange) but would want to use it as well as my 2210.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Do you sync both with the same set of Outlook data? If so does it work well?

Absolutely - I sync it just like it were another Pocket PC, and it works nicely. :D

David Conger
07-08-2003, 12:38 AM
I too use both a Smartphone and PPC (actually two). Both (all) Sync with Outlook just fine. I like having the two difference devices more than the all-in-one and ActiveSync could care less about the different devices syncing.

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 04:41 AM
I just wish you could sync both at once. It would be so much more convenient if you could.

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Hmmm. Well I guess it would be quite obvious that Contacts, Calendar and Tasks are synched on both PPC and SMP... But the bad thing about the SMP is the Inbox... the unified and confusing Inbox... :-(

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

ben865
07-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Great thanks.

That's a help.

I wish it was possible to rent or borrow these devices to try them and see if they meet your needs before shelling out mucho moolah...

Cheers,

jenneth
07-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I just wish you could sync both at once. It would be so much more convenient if you could.

Yeah, me too!

ppcsurfr
07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Well I wwish I could synchronize my Smartphone to my Pocket PC and the other way around too.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

jenneth
07-10-2003, 02:15 PM
What would you synchronise that couldn't wait till you got back to a PC?

Mike Temporale
07-10-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing he would use GPRS to get email to the smartphone, sync it to the PocketPC, reply on a slightly bigger screen, but better input options. Then sync back to the smartphone to send it.

Not a bad idea, if it could be done.

jenneth
07-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Unless you were writing quite a long email (in which case you could use something like the Elektek fabric keyboard on the phone), I would think that the time it would take to set that all up (assuming it was possible) not to mention the hassle would negate any possible benefits. A slightly bigger screen and better input options? I would think that the one-handed operation on the Smartphone and use of T9 would make it just as quick if not faster (again, assuming it was only a short message) than "synchronising", replying to the message on a Pocket PC and then "synchronising" again.

Sounds like it be faster and more efficient to use just infrared to connect the Pocket PC and the phone and use the phone as a modem to receive and answer the email directly on the Pocket PC.

ppcsurfr
07-11-2003, 01:28 PM
This is how I handle it. Since I own both Pocekt PC and Smartphone, I've made it a point to keep all the heavy stuff with my PPC instead of sharing it with my Smartphone just because it can... well, actually it can't.

I manage 3 email addressess on my PPC... (normally) and the Smartphone only handles one account... :( Not a good replacement for the PPC on this topic as you can see. Anyway, I do use it as a modem for heavy duty emailing and surfing using the PPC and the Smartphone as a modem. When I need to travel light though, I can afford to leave the PPC at home because my valuable info is always in the Smartphone anyway. :D

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Skitals
07-12-2003, 04:04 AM
Just a question for those with both smartphone and pocket pc... why the heck do you need both? I understand JUST have a smart phone, or having a Pocket PC + tiny bluetooth phone (t68, etc... just for calls and wireless modem). With PPC + bluetooth phone it would be even easier for doing text messaging and stuff because you could recieve the txt messages directly on the ppc (bluetooth bonding) and reply directly on the pocket pc without ever having to go into your pocket to pull out the phone.

Smartphone does PIM... pocket pc does PIM. The only thing smartphone has on a 'normal' phone is PIM. Whats the point?

ppcsurfr
07-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Just a question for those with both smartphone and pocket pc... why the heck do you need both? I understand JUST have a smart phone, or having a Pocket PC + tiny bluetooth phone (t68, etc... just for calls and wireless modem). With PPC + bluetooth phone it would be even easier for doing text messaging and stuff because you could recieve the txt messages directly on the ppc (bluetooth bonding) and reply directly on the pocket pc without ever having to go into your pocket to pull out the phone.

Smartphone does PIM... pocket pc does PIM. The only thing smartphone has on a 'normal' phone is PIM. Whats the point?

Okay... I once asked myself the same question... Why the hell should I have both?

Here are the answers I came up with.

1. I want to ba able to use only ONE device at times... Not everytime... but at certain occasions. Obviously the Pocket PC is a much powerful device and for what I use it for, the Smartphone cannot simply handle it.

2. You might say then why not just settle for an XDA then I can have just one device... Well, the XDA requires 2 handed operation while the Smartphone only requires one hand. And even if I got an XDA, I'd still end up using a Smartphone occasionally.
Besides, the XDA does not have SDIO nor does it have a CF slot which I need.

3. The Smartphone, I can easily jam into any of my Pockets and not be scared that I'll be breaking anything. The screen is not of the Touch Screen variety so no screens to crack... unlike the XDA and the Pocket PC... This I bring alone when I have to travel light or if I don't require the power of the Pocket PC... like going to the nearby grocery, or taking my dog for a walk or going out for dinner...

4. Of course I end up doing most of the things with a Pocket PC still and I still need a mobile phone... but it is easier to pull out a moile phone and recognize who is calling than to pull out a Pocket PC and find out who is calling then asnswer the Mobile phone using either the hands-free kit or the phone itself... Just the same as SMS... with T9 SMS is so easy on the Smartphone... and I don't have to cross reference the number to my Pocket PC's contacts list... which is what most SMS managers do on the PPC. In other words, I have both complete sets of Contacts in both my Smartphone and the Pocket PC. Well of course... it's Windows Powered.

5. I own both the Sony-Ericsson T68i and the HTC Tanager (SMART Amazing Phone) and they both cost the same... If ever I were to get another mobile phone? It will be a Microsoft powered one at that... :)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Mike Temporale
07-13-2003, 03:23 AM
ppcsurfr,

Thanks! That's the decission I have been wrestling with. Should I upgrade my 3650 to a newer model, or just hold out and replace it with a SmartPhone, or get both. You've mentioned some good points here, which I never thought about.

I was leaning towards just getting the smartphone, but now, I think I'll pick up a new PPC, and then look at adding a smartphone to it once they hit the distribution chain in North America. :D

ppcsurfr
07-13-2003, 12:08 PM
It is really a tough decision until you finally experience the power of the Smartphone platform...

I was never really content with any mobile phone's phonebook... the Smartphone beats them all hands down...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Skitals
07-13-2003, 08:04 PM
I think I would still rather just carry around a se t610 and ipaq 2210. The se is smaller, would be easier for just making good 'ole voice calls, has built in camera if i ever wanted it (and still only the size of the t68), and has bluetooth to connect to the ipaq and use a bluetooth headset.

Now if there was a smartphone with bluetooth and built in camera, and the size of a t68 I would of course pick the more powerful OS.... but only given that making a call is as easy and turning the phone on, typing a number, and pressing send.

Just my thoughts.

Mike Temporale
07-14-2003, 12:57 PM
I was never really content with any mobile phone's phonebook... the Smartphone beats them all hands down...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Argh! This has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I have tried to sync my mobile phone's contacts with Outlook for my last 3 phones with no luck. The software is either so bug filled, or they expect you to retype everything into their contact manager software.

This is a major reason why I'm started looking at the smartphone. Having the same contacts across all my devices... This is a huge factor for me!

ppcsurfr
07-14-2003, 08:29 PM
I had a T68 and used BT a lot... but one thing I noticed was that I could not leave my Pocket PC behind and just rely on my phone... as small as it may seem, it just doesn't have the feel of the Pocket PC... like the Contacts and the Calendar...

But if they do come out with a Windows powered Smartphone with BT, I'd jump at it right away.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo