View Full Version : Upgrade from HTC to Tanager?

Robert Levy
07-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Do you have an SPV? If so, will you be upgrading to the newer Tanager model if it becomes available in your country? Why or why not?

Arne Hess
07-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Do you have an SPV? If so, will you be upgrading to the newer Tanager model if it becomes available in your country? Why or why not?
Yes, already did... 8) :lol:

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Yes, already did... 8) :lol:

Hey! No fair! :lol:

Chris Glenton
07-04-2003, 11:09 AM
I'll be upgrading for sure - if only because the action button on the SPV is pretty hopeless.

spacemonkey
07-04-2003, 11:42 AM
I won't be bothering to upgrade. Basically the Tanager is exactly the same as the SPV with the only differences being a brighter screen (although resolution and colour depth are the same) and a better keypad.

To be honest I can live with the old SPV keypad for a bit longer and I would happily save my cash and spend it on the next smartphone... preferably something with a faster processor and inbuilt camera and maybe "Windows Mobile 2003 for SmartPhone" (or at least upgradeable to it. Although I hear that the SPV/Tanager/Mio should be upgradeable to 2003 as long as the hardware vendor/telco bother to do it).

pdantic
07-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I've got a Tanager and for the most part I really like it. The screen is amazing, it's tiny and lightweight, and the device is relatively fast. I like the "joystick" for navigation, and the ability to do most operations with one hand is great!

That being said, I have had some real problems with it so far. I have a T-Mobile account and moved my SIM from my Pocket PC Phone to the Tanager the day I got it. The problem I'm experiencing is very spotty GPRS service. I can use my Pocket PC Phone just about anywhere and most of the time I'll have a strong GPRS signal. With the Tanager, I've been lucky if I can use GPRS once a day. It *might* be a network issue, since I have been able to use the device outside of Denver (i.e., Vail and Aspen) with little or no problems. And of course, since it's a non-supported device on T-Mobile's system, they've been reluctant to provide support when I've contacted them.

My next step will be to have the ROM re-flashed to see if that has any effect on the radio problem. I hope it does - since I'm not going to be very happy about having to lug my "heavy" Pocket PC Phone around after getting used to the Tanager.

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 09:01 AM
I don't have an SPV... but my first Smartphone is an HTC Tanager. :D

I have the SMART Amazing Phone from the Philippines.

The PPCW.Net and the SMART Amazing Phone has the newer ROM which even has an SMS character/message counter. :P

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chris Glenton
07-06-2003, 10:45 AM
The PPCW.Net and the SMART Amazing Phone has the newer ROM which even has an SMS character/message counter. :P

OK, my SPV has a character counter too - just that it only works on occasions :roll:

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 10:55 AM

OK, my SPV has a character counter too - just that it only works on occasions :roll:

Which ROM are you using? The one fromSMART Communications? The latest ROMs allow you to do this...

It works all the time if you know how to actuallya activate it.

If you are replying to a message and the sender is in your contacts list, the name of the sender is placed into the To field... and since this is in text as opposed to numeric... it gets treated as an email instead of an SMS (at least on the level of the character counter). For you to activate the SMS character/message counter, simply type in any number on the CC field and immediately delete it by hitting the back arrow (the button below the red phone button). You will see that the SMS character/message counter is then activated.

If you send out an SMS directly from the contacts list by selecting the sms number, you will notice that the To field is occupied by the recipient's number instead of the name. This too will activate the SMS character/message counter.

I hope this helps.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chris Glenton
07-06-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm using the latest SPV DK Update - and I must confess that I'm not especially bothered whether the counter works or not : ) never really send long SMS anyway....

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, true... but have you ever experienced sending an SMS with a second message containing nothing more than a period or simply the last word...

It gets quite annoying when a second message appears and nothing useful is in it anyway... :D

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chris Glenton
07-06-2003, 11:23 AM
heh, no, can't say I have :rainbowafro: see your point though

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 11:31 AM
hehe... we kinda experience that here in the Philippines day in and day out...

This country is simply SMS crazy! 8O

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chronos
07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
I've got a Tanager and for the most part I really like it. ...

That being said, I have had some real problems with it so far. I have a T-Mobile account and moved my SIM from my Pocket PC Phone to the Tanager the day I got it. The problem I'm experiencing is very spotty GPRS service. I can use my Pocket PC Phone just about anywhere and most of the time I'll have a strong GPRS signal. With the Tanager, I've been lucky if I can use GPRS once a day. It *might* be a network issue, since I have been able to use the device outside of Denver (i.e., Vail and Aspen) with little or no problems. And of course, since it's a non-supported device on T-Mobile's system, they've been reluctant to provide support when I've contacted them.

My next step will be to have the ROM re-flashed to see if that has any effect on the radio problem. I hope it does - since I'm not going to be very happy about having to lug my "heavy" Pocket PC Phone around after getting used to the Tanager.

Same issue here in the DC area. I can get a GPRS signal just about anywhere with my T-Mob XDA, but coverage is spotty w/ the Tanager. However, I seem to get a GSM signal everywhere w/ the Tanager, even in areas where I'd always drop calls w/ the XDA. Strange indeed. I've got a Qtek- anyone heard of any updates for these, a la XDAdevelopers.com? :wink:

encece
07-08-2003, 03:37 AM
I think, like others, that there is no need to upgrade from the SPV to the Tanager...unless I had a couple of hundred more bucks to spend on esentially the same phone.

I'm going to wait for new Smartphone 2003/04 devices or at the very least...wait for the Mitacs to become available at a reasonable price here in the US as they have the integrated camera and faster processor.

But I'll bet we see some cool new devices at years end or at the launch of the new OS.

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 05:15 AM
I'm currently using the Compal Smartphone

So am I, and I intend to get a new phone as soon as my carrier gets on the stick and offers one.

My Compal has a glorious future awaiting as a dev/demo unit!

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 10:04 AM
The Compal smartphone has a better joystick as compared to the HTC ones...

But I'm still sticking to m Tanager... :-)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

tacopicante
07-09-2003, 05:36 AM
:D Hey guys, I am turning into a hardcore phone junkie ever since these phones came out. I was wondering between the differences of the HT Tanager and the Compal Red e SC1100 since I read an article that said the Compal has serious blue wash if you have the backlight on while inside... my question is if the screen on the Compal is better or the same as the HTC Tanager. If so, which one should I get, I mean. which is better... could anyone maybe compare the 2 for me briefly so I can decide?? If so, you rock !! Oh by the way... maybe I should just wait for another one to come along. Heck, I'm so confused :?:

:D

Robert Levy
07-09-2003, 05:47 AM
Hey guys, I am turning into a hardcore phone junkie ever since these phones came out. I was wondering between the differences of the HT Tanager and the Compal Red e SC1100 since I read an article that said the Compal has serious blue wash if you have the backlight on while inside... my question is if the screen on the Compal is better or the same as the HTC Tanager. If so, which one should I get, I mean. which is better... could anyone maybe compare the 2 for me briefly so I can decide?? If so, you rock !! Oh by the way... maybe I should just wait for another one to come along. Heck, I'm so confused

The Tanager screen is by far much better than the Red E. No competition. I do however prefer the keypad and general shape of the Red E. Basically what it comes down to is this: the Red E feels better while the Tanager looks better.

Another thing that may or may not matter to you is that there are accessories for the Tanager available now, but no sign that we will ever see anything exciting for the Red E (since it is currently only being sold as part of a developer kit)

ppcsurfr
07-09-2003, 04:49 PM
The SD camera for the Compal Smartphone blows the HTC serial Camera away... 8O

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

encece
07-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Does it wotk on the SPV or Tanager?

ppcsurfr
07-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Not so sure... I wasn't able to get hold of the installer... it was already in the unit I used.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

jenneth
07-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Definitely won't upgrade to a Tanager - my spare gadget dollars are all going towards a new iPAQ 2210 .. and maybe the Tungsten T2 when it comes out .. and perhaps a nice 17" LCD monitor ..

The screen on the Tanager is very nice, as are the flat keys, better form factor and joy stick. The keys on the SPV ... seriously, you could get calluses on your fingers (or your thumb at least) after a few heavy texting sessions! But buying a whole new phone just for a better display, flatter keys and a joystick (oh and the nicer form factor and faster ROM version) doesn't seem worth it for me, though I really was tempted. Must hide my wallet somewhere and wait for some new devices

ppcsurfr
07-10-2003, 02:32 PM
The force is great on the Tanager... try it more and you will not be able to resist it... :twisted:

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

tacopicante
07-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Ok, I'm down to making a decision between these two but I just need to know one more thing about the phones... how are the volume settings for the ringers? Is the HTC Tanager phone loud with WAV files like the pocket pc phone edition for example... what about the Compal in comparison? I also wanted to know since Carlo is saying that the Compal seems to be a great device if the screen resolution sacrifice would make the Compal a better choice overall... I mean if the features are better but the difference is a little less brightness on screen I'll take the Compal since the developer kit is cheaper... Per Arne Hess he prefers the Tanager but he might be a little biased... hehehe.

Let me know please !!

ppcsurfr
07-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, I actually like both... somehow the Tanager has it's good points and the Compal version has its good points too...

They are totally different devices and perform differently too.

If you are looking for one with really great standby time... well, you're better off with the HTC units.

But if you are considering the speaker volume? The Compal has 2 of them... one for the earpiece, and a second one behind the unit for the alarms and notifications.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

tacopicante
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Hey, could anyone give me a comparison of both devices, performance wise etc.?

Thanks !!

jproudfo
07-11-2003, 08:36 PM
I think, like others, that there is no need to upgrade from the SPV to the Tanager...unless I had a couple of hundred more bucks to spend on esentially the same phone.

I'm going to wait for new Smartphone 2003/04 devices or at the very least...wait for the Mitacs to become available at a reasonable price here in the US as they have the integrated camera and faster processor.

I have the original SPV and have the same opinion... Why bother spending that much money just to get slightly larger buttons and the new screen? I've played with the Tanager and couldn't find a good reason to upgrade.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the Mitac devices though. :)

I suspect that my next smartphone upgrade won't be until Smartphone 2003 is out.

markhammill
07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Wow thanks for that Carlo, that is really useful. I wonder if that works on my xda as well.

As for upgrading to the tanger from my spv. Not a chance. I'm only interested if this one happens to get damaged (accidentally) and orange have to replace it with a tanger. I'll have to wait till there out of SPV's anyway.

I like the size of this phone and don't feel I need a bigger keypad.

The action button does suck but I looking in to manufacturing a metal joysitick upgrade. It would be quite expensive as it is quite a complex part to only make a few of and it would require taking apart your phone and removing the current pad. So only suitable for the dedicated gamers.