View Full Version : Next generation Smartphone development webcast feedback

Robert Levy
07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Did you catch the recent web cast about developing apps for the next generation Pocket PC and Smartphone devices? (If not, you can watch the recording over here (http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2012.asp))

Which of the things discussed did you find most exciting? What still seems to be missing?

I'm most excited about getting .NET Compact Framework support on Smartphone. This alone stands a strong chance of revolutionizing the platform and the industry.

On the other hand, there is still no sign of a standardized camera API or location (GPS) API.

What do you think?

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 10:47 AM
I missed it but I think what really needs working on is the Telephony functions of the Smartphone and Pocket PC Phone Edition. They have to be good phones to really work with from the start.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 03:14 AM
It has to be .NET CF burned in.

I'm a consultant that works in the corporate dev space. The idea of being able to extend LOB apps to the phone is making me drool.

The trick to adoption, though, is going to be coming up with good examples of practical applications that can be extended to the phone. CIO's stopped spending on "cool" quite some time ago.

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 03:19 AM
They have to be good phones to really work with from the start.

I've been using the Compal from the developer's kit for a few months now. Yeah, I know it's for dev, but I've been too busy on projects to dust off my C++ skills. I cannot complain about the overall quality. It's not 100%, but it gets better with each ROM update. These things are going to kick butt when they go live.

Robert Levy
07-08-2003, 04:38 AM
It's not 100%, but it gets better with each ROM update. These things are going to kick butt when they go live.

Isn't it cool how Everlink just plops up ROM updates on their FTP server? Man, I wish others would be so open...

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Isn't it cool how Everlink just plops up ROM updates on their FTP server? Man, I wish others would be so open...

<cough>Toshiba!</cough> :grinning devil:

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 09:19 AM
They have to be good phones to really work with from the start.

I've been using the Compal from the developer's kit for a few months now. Yeah, I know it's for dev, but I've been too busy on projects to dust off my C++ skills. I cannot complain about the overall quality. It's not 100%, but it gets better with each ROM update. These things are going to kick butt when they go live.

I've played with the Compal ones and they are definitely faster than the HTC variants...

I also love the SD camera for the AR11 it refresher really nicely and the photos are of good quality.

All that I wish for now is fax modem support on these things... the HTC doesn't seem to support it... I'm not sure if the Compal AR11/SC1100 does so...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

charlie tai
07-17-2003, 06:51 AM
On the other hand, there is still no sign of a standardized camera API or location (GPS) API.

What do you think?

That's a great point!
Standardized location (GPS) API.

Then you can make a really useful tour guide on Smartphones with GPS!

By the way, I made a multimedia tour guide of Taipei for Pocket PC.

Please check it out!

http://www.charlietai.com/taipei/