View Full Version : Smartphone Success Stories?

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 12:17 AM
So what sorts of "Smartphone success stories" are there out there? How has your Smartphone become an indispensable device for you?

xb
07-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey Jason! First of all, I just want to say how happy I am to see a website like pocketpcthoughts that talks all about the smartphone. As you may already know, the Philippines is the first country in Asia to recieve the smartphone and we are so fortunate that we got the SPVx (or Tanager) at that! I have been using the phone since it was launched last March, 2003 and I do agree with your assessment that despite its bugs it has a lot of potential. I am an iPaq owner. A 3850 in fact and it was frustrating not being able to use pocket IE and Messenger when I am out. It has no bluetooth and the IR connection was too cumbersome to use so when I first saw the Tanager I fell in love!!! Currently I use it primarily for internet because it's so small and powerful that yes... I do sometimes leave the house without my pocketpc (you are not alone Jason). The xda is also nice but i have faster input with a keypad (I do come from a text-crazy country).

Ramin
07-02-2003, 10:41 PM
So what sorts of "Smartphone success stories" are there out there? How has your Smartphone become an indispensable device for you?

I suppose, once I've figured out how to get my Exchange 2003 Server ActiveSync working, then it would become an indispensable tool. Oh yeah... that, and Bluetooth. ;) It's already Q2 2003 and no sign of a Bluetooth enabled Smartphone! :roll:

:idea: Finally, it would be great if the Smartphones supported BSQUARE's SDIO Now! (http://www.bsquare.com/products/sdionow/default.asp)

I don't know if this counts as a "success story", but it's great to be able to use MSN Messenger almost anywhere! :mrgreen:

aussie
07-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Not really a success story but I have been using my Red-e for the past couple of months and absolutely find it indespensible. I have stopped carrying the iPaq and feel that the device is almost perfect.

I look forward to visiting this new site many times a day - it may actually act as a cure to my frequent visits to pocketpcthoughts.com

Thanks team.

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Well, I know of one... well, several actually.

First is Arne Hess' story about buying a laptop for his girlfriend... I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it here which needed approval from his girlfriend... and how? By sending photos of the Laptop via a Smartphone.

http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1334

And mine is basically helping out my brother's friend who is having his car repainted in a shop near my place. I take photos of it and send it to his email as some sort of progress report on his car's status.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

jenneth
07-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Smartphone success story? Hmmn .. as a couple of you know, I have a love/hate relationship with my SPV. It seems to be a bit of a cycle - at the moment I kinda like it again, heh.

My Smartphone is indispensable because of MSN Messenger and email. Before, I had the fairly cumbersome process of setting up a Bluetooth connection between my T68 and my iPAQ 3970 whenever I wanted to jump online - not the most convenient thing to do when standing in a bank queue or lining up to buy movie tickets. Now it's a nice smooth one-handed process (with people peering over my shoulder and googling at the brightly coloured screen).

ppcsurfr
07-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi Jenneth. Nice to see you here...

Well how is your SPV when paired to your Zire 71? Oops :oops:

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

jenneth
07-10-2003, 01:52 PM
what do you mean "when paired"? At first glance I thought you were talking about Bluetooth pairing, but that can't be it because neither device has Bluetooth. Did you mean "compared"? If so, then I'll refrain from answering - you can't really compare a PDA (especially a Palm!) to a Smartphone - different purposes, totally different usage scenarios. :grab: (that's such a cool emoticon!)

ppcsurfr
07-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Oops I didn't meant that post to be confusing... :crazyeyes:

I meant... partnered, used together as in... use the SMP 2002 device as a modem for your Zire 71.

Yep those are cool emoticons... :silly:

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

jenneth
07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Setting the SPV up as a modem for a Pocket PC or Windows XP laptop is confusing enough - I don't even want to think about using it with my Zire. And infrared? Pfft, that technology is way too ancient for me to deal with.

ppcsurfr
07-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Too Ancient!!!

Whoa!!! Well, it is one of the oldest ways of transmitting data without wires... :-) but it is still a good way of doing it... particularly when you can't get BT...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo