View Full Version : Welcome to Smartphone Thoughts!

Jason Dunn
06-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Smartphone Thoughts! It brings me great pleasure to launch this new site dedicated to the Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone platform. I'm tremendously excited about the future of the Smartphone platform - I've been using one for the past couple of months, and while there are some rough edges, on the whole I'm in love with the platform. The first day I started using my Orange SPV on the <a href="http://www.fido.ca">Fido GPRS network</a>, I configured it to check my email account, and it instantly became more useful to me than any other cell phone before it (even my T68 with Bluetooth). I remember having a similar experience with my Pocket PC - there's such rich functionality that you can't help but want to use it more than any other device in its class. And I have a secret to share with you - sometimes I leave my house without my Pocket PC, but I never go <i><b>anywhere</b></i> without my Smartphone. Shh! Don't tell anyone at Pocket PC Thoughts! :wink: Our focus here are Smartphone Thoughts is to make this site the most useful site possible for you as a Smartphone owner. We'll post daily bits of news gathered from around the Web, link to the best articles and reviews we find on other sites, and write our own reviews and columns. We've put together a team of opinionated editors, so expect to see a few rants and raves popping up - we're not afraid to share our opinions here at Smartphone Thoughts, and while we have sponsors and bills like most sites, they don't influence our editorial freedom. We'll tell you exactly what we think, every time.The Microsoft Smartphone is a "young" device - if you currently own a Smartphone, it's likely a first generation device like an Orange SPV or maybe the Red E from the developer's kit. We at Smartphone Thoughts believe in the long-term success of the Microsoft Smartphone platform. Microsoft does not enter a market unless it has the patience and persistence to dominate, and we believe that the Smartphone will evolve into the premier information-rich mobile device on the market. Yeah, we know we have basically zero percent market share right now - there's nowhere to go but up! :DIf you've visited <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com">Pocket PC Thoughts</a> before, you'll be familiar with how things work here. Smartphone Thoughts (sometimes referred to as SPT) is part of the <a href="http://www.thoughtsmedia.com">Thoughts Media Network</a>, and a sister site to Pocket PC Thoughts. Both run atop the Thoughts Media Engine, and will have identical functionality. Over time, we'll be launching new Thoughts Media sites, and a powerful synergy will develop between them.We're just getting started, so stick around - if you're a Smartphone owner, this is the place to be!Jason DunnExecutive EditorSmartphone ThoughtsPS - We're still working out a few kinks in our new system, so be patient. If you're reading this on June 30th, you've caught our "soft launch". We wanted to go live to see how things work, but we don't kick it into high gear until next week. In the meantime, feel free to post in the forums and explore the site, and come back often.

HailStorm
07-01-2003, 03:24 AM
Jason,

I have been randomly "hitting" smartphonethoughts.com for the last month or so. Imagine my surprise to suddenly break forth into this visual bonanza that is Smartphone Thoughts!

I am really impressed with the design and features! I look forward to seeing SPT community grow as we get some really big hardware launches soon!

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the Verizon Wireless i600. ;-) Hope I don't fall off waiting for it!!

Kudos on the new site and your Thoughts Network! Keep up the great work everyone involved!!

Paul Britton
Los Angeles, CA
-Future Smartphone User

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 04:56 AM
I have been randomly "hitting" smartphonethoughts.com for the last month or so. Imagine my surprise to suddenly break forth into this visual bonanza that is Smartphone Thoughts!

Welcome Paul! Somehow I'm not surprised that you're our very first registered user! :D It will be several days until we start the flow of news & views (still quite a bit of behind the scenes magic to be wrought), but I'm thrilled to be able to see this site live after months of hard work. Regarding the look, you can thank me for the colour scheme, and the amazing Fabrizio for the killer design and layout.

Don't post anything about this to other sites though - I want everything to be in place for our "hard launch" when we announce the site. :rock on dude!:

HailStorm
07-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Don't post anything about this to other sites though - I want everything to be in place for our "hard launch" when we announce the site.

You got it...tho as you can see -in my excited state- I notified our favourite San Franciscan via IM after I found out. lol

I am really really impressed. This is exactly what I have come to expect from your whole team! Just bullseye man. :) "Game over *man*, Game Over!"

hehe

Does this launch hint at "something wonderful" in the US market near-future? :P

I'm dyin I am I swear! hehe

ARW
07-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Very cool Jason!

I have to ditto much of what HailStorm has said. I'm awaiting a NA Smartphone as much if not more than when the original PPCs were announced. As a faithful reader of PPC Thoughts I'll now have two quality sites to hit on a regular basis.

Trying to be patient and hoping I won't be disappointed.

Al
Near Future SP User Hopefully

Paul [MVP]
07-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Congratulations on the new site Jason :)

P

Robert Levy
07-01-2003, 03:36 PM
]Congratulations on the new site Jason :)

Congrats on finding it Paul 8)

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 03:59 PM

I wouldn't launch a site like this unless something good was coming this way. :D

Arne Hess
07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Congrats Jason Fabrizio and Team!
#2 to go on the way of ThoughtsMedia...

Bojan Rip
07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Congratulations on the awsome looking site! Impressive!

Long live the Smartphone!
Bojan

Kati Compton
07-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Looking forward to the site. :)

Jason Dunn
07-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Looking forward to the site. :)

Welcoem Kati42! You should take a screenshot of your "1 post". ;-)

Kati Compton
07-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Why, cause you don't think I'll stay that low for long? ;) Nah. I try to look ahead in life....

I'll take a screenshot when I hit 10,000 on PPCT instead. :D

CG
07-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Jason, Fabrizio and the Team... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You all rock guys, I am sure this site will be great as PPCT.

I have never been in love with web-based forum (I am a convinced NNTP fan) but I have to say you have made an impressive work with mobile versions of your Thoughts sites. I often visit them with my XDA and SPV.

Ciao,

Marc Zimmermann
07-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Congratulations on the new site! May it become as successful as its sibling.

gears
07-02-2003, 04:25 PM
:D

How we doing!!?!?!?

8)

Robert Levy
07-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all of your support guys - I'm really excited about this and it's great to know that you are too 8)

Galaga
07-02-2003, 05:01 PM
whaoooo ... wonderfull !!!
hopefully for me this site is in english ... (yessss !) :D:D:D
Good luck to Paul & Gears !

spacemonkey
07-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Looking good... get some good news rolling out of this baby and my boss will be very upset :)

Will
07-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Another new site! but this time with funky retro colours :oops:

Looks interesting, i've added to favourites already.

Good luck with it

Will

Robert Levy
07-02-2003, 07:26 PM
As Jason said, we don't kick in to high gear until next week but in the mean time we would really appreciate contributions to the links section of the site (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/links.php). Please check it out and submit your favorite Smartphone sites. (Note that submissions don't appear right away - each one will be reviewed before appearing in the catalog)

Liko
07-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Congratulation !!! I like much the design, very beautiful.

Good luck for the continuation

marlof
07-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Ha! A new place to hang out! I'm pretty excited!

Peter Foot
07-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Aha, I've found it too. Whats the prize :lol:

Cool stuff!

Peter

Robert Levy
07-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Aha, I've found it too. Whats the prize :lol:

Cool stuff!

Peter

They will be announced next week 8) We've got some great stuff lined up!

Jeff_Baker
07-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Boy Jason, lauching PPCT subscription and a new Thoughts site in the same week; you're a busy man! I wondered when DigitalMediaThoughts would go online; looks like Smartphones are first in line. I second other thoughts here hoping that the US presence of MS Smartphones will get off the ground so I have a reason to visit this site!

Btw, I find it ironic that I learned of this site from another mobiles site that apparently thinks you hate them.

So is SmartphoneThoughts going to be abbreviated 'ST' or 'SPT'?

Robert Levy
07-02-2003, 10:13 PM
So is SmartphoneThoughts going to be abbreviated 'ST' or 'SPT'?

SPT

IA Style
07-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Nice site guys. Looking forward to seeing it up and running. So what is your analysis about the future of Pocket PCs / Pocket PC Phone Edition / and Smartphones?

Jason, on a personal note, are you planning any more books about Ulead?

Joe

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Boy Jason, lauching PPCT subscription and a new Thoughts site in the same week; you're a busy man! I wondered when DigitalMediaThoughts would go online; looks like Smartphones are first in line.

Yup, that's why DMT couldn't happen yet - this one had to come first. DMT is up next though, but we have a lot of polishing to do on both of these sites first.

Btw, I find it ironic that I learned of this site from another mobiles site that apparently thinks you hate them. So is SmartphoneThoughts going to be abbreviated 'ST' or 'SPT'?

Yeah. Let's just ignore that mobiles site, shall we? :roll: We purposely didn't publicize this site anywhere yet - we need to get everything in order first. That "other" site is run by someone who apparently can't read because they published news about us today. Don't worry, soon you'll never need to visit that "other" site again. :lol:

PPCT = Pocket PC Thoughts
SPT = Smartphone Thoughts
DMT = Digital Media Thoughts

:D

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 06:25 AM
So what is your analysis about the future of Pocket PCs / Pocket PC Phone Edition / and Smartphones?

All that and more to come. ;-)

Jason, on a personal note, are you planning any more books about Ulead?

No, probably not. The other books never sold well, and...there were other issues that I can't get into on a public site. :wink:

Wilmur
07-03-2003, 08:37 AM
This is what i hoped for...thank you in advance Jason :D

Chronos
07-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Jason et al, I am so glad to see this site! Great job. I look forward to spending far too much of my valuable time reading, commenting, learning, and supporting this site.

Hey- cool, I'm #60! :D

Rafe
07-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Congratulations to Jason and the team on the new site.

I for one welcome a smartphone specific site from the thoughts stable. I might not use the smartphone, but it doesn't mean I dont want to read about it.

Best of luck

Rafe

Ed Hansberry
07-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Another great site!

pdantic
07-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Way to go, Jason! The site looks great and is sure to be a huge success! :beer:

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 10:44 AM
This site is looking good!!!

Congratulations Jason!

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

ppcsurfr
07-07-2003, 05:00 PM
What!?! Jason is also coming up with PalmThoughts!?! 8O

Well someone registered it already... for what? Beats me...

:wink: hehe

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Surgical Snack
07-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Darn it, Jason! Now I have to get a Smartphone! :twisted:

I look forward to using this site to figure out which one to buy.

And congrats on the layout and UI - another killer job by Fabrizio, I imagine - now I know why his site isn't up yet! :wink:

GoldKey
07-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Good luck with the new site.

greenmozart
07-08-2003, 01:33 AM
I am so anxious waiting for the i600 I'm going to burst. Great job and good luck with the site. I can't wait for the official launch ~ moreover, I can't wait for the accompanying news. ;)

suhit
07-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Cool site, cool colors. Nice job Jason, et. al.

However, I would like to report a small bug. When composing a message, the Topic Review Window at the bottom of the page still shows colors used on the Pocketpcthoughts.com site. Is that on purpose?

Suhit

Jerry Raia
07-08-2003, 02:04 AM
This is quite nice, now I have a place I can figure out what to spend more money on. :changes:

Reza
07-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Nice Job! I can't wait to actually get a smartphone and invade this place with questions and rants! :D

Elad Yakobowicz
07-08-2003, 02:18 AM

I wouldn't launch a site like this unless something good was coming this way. :D

Well, I guess there's a God after all - been waiting long enough for Smartphone in the US (though I hope it's feature packed and doesn't cost $2000 USD when it gets here) :lol:

As for the site - love the idea, love the looks, and will most likely love the content. Many congrats!

jmbneaf
07-08-2003, 02:27 AM
Wooo whooo!! - finally another site about SmartPhones !

I love PPC Thoughts - this will be soooo good,

Thanks Jason!

-JB
-

Robert Levy
07-08-2003, 02:33 AM
However, I would like to report a small bug. When composing a message, the Topic Review Window at the bottom of the page still shows colors used on the Pocketpcthoughts.com site. Is that on purpose?

Suhit

It's a known issue... there are still a few places in the code that refer to PPCT, but they're being worked on. Be patient though - Jason and Fabrizio have a lot on their plates right now ;)

ctmagnus
07-08-2003, 02:38 AM
rrrreeeeeeedddd! And you don't have all the emoticons up yet. :wink:

But considering my most recent major purchase, I don't think I'll have too much hands-on experience with a smartphone for a while now. Not to mention the fact that the only cellular company with remotely decent coverage in these parts is light years away from Smartphones. :cry:

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Now, I have to get a smartphone.... A BT enabled Pocket PC and BT enabled MS SmartPhone with unlimited data plan is what I am hoping for. What is on the horizon for the US market?

ombu
07-08-2003, 03:54 AM
Hmmm, seems I'll buy a smartphone, if Jason and team are here ... so ... there's future with the platform... ok, I'm here too ...

:D Congratulations!!!

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 04:00 AM
Congratulations on getting the site going, Jason!

possmann
07-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Waaaay to go bro!

:werenotworthy:

Great design!

ricksfiona
07-08-2003, 04:54 AM
Since I know Smartphone Thoughts is getting the same people to develop and grow it, I know that this site will be as successful as PocketPC Thoughts.

I find that the writing for PocketPC Thoughts is exceptional and makes for very good reading. It really is addictive with the writing and superb content.

I am glad that you folks are starting a Smartphone Thoughts. The MS Smartphone will be an exciting and growing industry in the months to follow. I have a couple of questions though:

1) The orange colors. For me at least, it makes it a little difficult to focus on some of the text. I don't wear glasses and in fact, have very good eyesight. The colors just seem so bright. I'll live, but just thought I would let you know.

2) ANY word an MS based Smartphone that will be SPV like AND have Bluetooth+SDIO? My T28 w/Bluetooth dongle died on me and I'm having to use a non-Bluetooth Nokia b/w screened phone. I really don't want to spend my money on a non-MS based Smartphone that has Bluetooth. It's becoming harder and harder to resist the temptation to buy something else. I'm so jealous of those with the SPV! But I gotta have Bluetooth. C'mon Jason, you can spill the beans huh? Something has to be in the works... :wink:

Thanks a bunch for all your hard work!

bryhawks
07-08-2003, 05:00 AM
Congrats, Jason!

I have to say, I was waiting (and checking) your DMT site, but this is cool too. I'll check it out daily of course, although PPCT will remain my homepage :wink:, and who knows - I may even change my HP PPCPE dream based on what I read here!

Bryan

kzemach
07-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Congrats on the new site- I look forward to it.

I do have one request/suggestion: Not every PPC user is an uber user, and I have to confess that if someone asked me point black "what is the difference in capabilities (in a non-phone sense) between a PPC and a Smartphone... I couldn't answer that question. A nice, brief "FAQ" type article on what makes them different would be great. For instance, I'm looking to ditch my laptop for lots of trips and want to be able to type/etc on my PDA, but I'd prefer to have a smartphone. Will I be able to do that on a smartphone with the same capabilities? What will I be giving up, if anything, in moving from a PDA to a smartphone?

Thanks, and good luck.

Robert Levy
07-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the new site- I look forward to it.

I do have one request/suggestion: Not every PPC user is an uber user, and I have to confess that if someone asked me point black "what is the difference in capabilities (in a non-phone sense) between a PPC and a Smartphone... I couldn't answer that question. A nice, brief "FAQ" type article on what makes them different would be great. For instance, I'm looking to ditch my laptop for lots of trips and want to be able to type/etc on my PDA, but I'd prefer to have a smartphone. Will I be able to do that on a smartphone with the same capabilities? What will I be giving up, if anything, in moving from a PDA to a smartphone?

Thanks, and good luck.

Thanks - That's a good article idea for us to work on. In the mean time check out Microsoft's comparison grid: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/buyersguide/helpmechoose/default.mspx

Paul [MVP]
07-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Check out this article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/31610.html) on 'The Register' for details on the SPV2 (aka HTC Voyager), launching in the UK Q4 2003...

Bluetooth, Integrated Camera, Mmmmmmm :)

P

Since I know Smartphone Thoughts is getting the same people to develop and grow it, I know that this site will be as successful as PocketPC Thoughts.

I find that the writing for PocketPC Thoughts is exceptional and makes for very good reading. It really is addictive with the writing and superb content.

I am glad that you folks are starting a Smartphone Thoughts. The MS Smartphone will be an exciting and growing industry in the months to follow. I have a couple of questions though:

1) The orange colors. For me at least, it makes it a little difficult to focus on some of the text. I don't wear glasses and in fact, have very good eyesight. The colors just seem so bright. I'll live, but just thought I would let you know.

2) ANY word an MS based Smartphone that will be SPV like AND have Bluetooth+SDIO? My T28 w/Bluetooth dongle died on me and I'm having to use a non-Bluetooth Nokia b/w screened phone. I really don't want to spend my money on a non-MS based Smartphone that has Bluetooth. It's becoming harder and harder to resist the temptation to buy something else. I'm so jealous of those with the SPV! But I gotta have Bluetooth. C'mon Jason, you can spill the beans huh? Something has to be in the works... :wink:

Thanks a bunch for all your hard work!

ekkie
07-08-2003, 08:53 PM
NOOOOOO....!!!! Please no more Thoughts sites...!!!

Bad for wallet!! Must maintain control of wallet!!!

ctmagnus
07-08-2003, 11:55 PM
NOOOOOO....!!!! Please no more Thoughts sites...!!!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/smiles/rotfl.gif

I concur. But at least the dinging is only on an annual basis.

encece
07-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Sorry for contributing to your email inbox...I stupidly didn't see this thread yesterday when I registered. Congratulations on the site! It looks great!

I'm more excited that it is a US-based site! I have been muckin around the best smartphone knowledge base so far...Modaco & Coolsmartphone.
Those sites are great...but I am constantly jealous of our UK breathern and their natively purchased and supported Orange phones.

Though the SPV works great here under T-Mobile...I'll be excited to have a home network supported phone as well as what seems to be a promise of a NEW US released smartphone model soon!

If it's T-Mobile...I'm golden.
If it's Verizon....I'm in a dilemma. Do I switch to Verizon for better reception and faster Data? Or do I stick with T-Mobile for the versatility of being able to switch to a new phone at anytime?! Decisions...decisions!

Anyway...Lots of Luck! :D

Jason Dunn
08-01-2003, 05:34 AM

Hey, who asked for money? :wink: