View Full Version : Tablet (Honeycomb) geared apps?

Sven Johannsen
09-20-2011, 04:58 PM
So, I just broke down and got an Android tablet, a Sony S. Happy with it, but have a question. Like the iPhone/iTouch venture into iPad, apps that take advantage of, or are geared towards, the tablet size seem limited. OK, I expected that. The question is how do you tell if a particular app is designed to run primarily on tablets? In the iTunes store you can click a button and pretty much what you see is iPad apps. Doesn't seem like such an option exists in the Android market, unless I'm missing something.

Sony provides a link to assorted apps that are tablet aware, but they tend to take you to the MarketPlace to download/purchase, and once there it is hard to distinguish which version is the right one, if there is more than one.

I do notice some ISVs have titled some apps 'XXX for Honeycomb', but that seems individual, not a standard practise.

Lee Yuan Sheng
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Nope, no such section exists, as far as I know. I suppose there's the excuse that Android apps don't pixel double, they scale like desktop programs. Of course, for some programs that gives a lot of blank white space...

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution. Google the various lists Android users have put up and update.

Sven Johannsen
09-21-2011, 02:15 AM
I suppose there's the excuse that Android apps don't pixel double, they scale like desktop programs.
Yea right. I picked up a solitaire app that looks like I'm 640x480 on a 21" monitor. May just be the app I picked, which is part of the reason for the question ;) Got any pointers to good Honeycomb lists?

jwb1969
09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
there is no easy way to discern Honeycomb apps, I have google alerts for Honeycomb apps, and I check the release date of the app, if it is passed Aug, I check the history log to see of 3.2 support was added, also googling for them.

Sven Johannsen
09-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, all that's not terribly friendly. Would seem the Android Market should provide at least a filter for tablets. Not just will run, but designed for. I have noticed some developers using the (overused) designation HD (High Definition) to indicate tablet friendliness.

Am I right? There is no Netflix client for Android Tablet? See lots of queue management stuff.