View Full Version : Windows Phone 7 Mango Update - What's still missing?

Eriq Cook
08-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey all,

While I haven't had much time to see WP7 Mango in action (except with someone @ Microsoft store briefly), based on the many recent reviews and feedback I've compiled a list of still much needed features that weren't addressed in the Mango update (by category):

PEOPLE HUB, EMAIL, CALENDAR AND MESSAGING:

•No Category support - A very important feature. Even Blackberry's have this, but I guess Microsoft (who invented "Categories") doesn't think people need to categorize things any more (who does that in 2011??? Let's just jump everything together, LOL) Seriously, with 800+ contacts in my phone and multiple types of calendar appointments (business, personal, etc), I miss the ability to filter my contacts by specific categories or add a category to a calendar item that syncs with Outlook/Exchange. Tasks (in Mango) should also support categories. Windows Mobile 6 and earlier could do ALL of this.

• Inability to show more than one upcoming calendar appointment on the home screen / calendar tile (and lock screen) - Drives me nuts not being able to see a quick glance of day from the home or lock screen.

• Inability to click on SHORT numbers in a text message or email and call it - For example, if I receive a text message that says "You have a new voicemail. Dial 123", I can't click on "123". This is silly!!! Windows Mobile 5 & 6 could do this easily. Windows Phone 7 however is only programmed to link standard telephone numbers. It doesn't auto-link numbers that are fewer than 7 digits.

• Address book/People Hub entries don't appear in the dialer as you manually dial- In other words, if you start to dial (702) 895.....and a contact entry with that phone number ALREADY exist in the phone, it doesn't appear for you. You must still type the complete number to dial it. Even dumb $50 cell phones today have the feature that allow you to simply select an address book entry that's already in the phone after typing in the first 2 numbers. Windows Mobile 6 and earlier also had this capability and it was a huge time saver.

• Inability to copy/paste text from applications into new email/text messages - So if I want to copy a string of text (quote, sentence, etc) from say a Bible app, why can't we paste it into a message?

• Inability to access DRAFTS folder - This seems like a no brainer and surprised that we cannot access messages located in Drafts folder for Exchange users.

• No Reply/Forwarded status indicator - If I've replied to or forwarded an email message before, I should be able to see this noted somewhere when I open an email message.

• Inability to send a contact card

CONNECTIVITY:
• No tethering support - I do understand carriers may have some say about this now, but it would be nice to connect my laptop to my WindowsPhone device for Internet access when no Wi-Fi is available in area.

SYNC & UPDATE:
• Lack of backup - The Zune software does NOT allow you to make backups of your WindowsPhone device. You can only restore it to factory install settings. Apple iTunes can backup iPhones. Why can't Zune (which is much better than iTunes) provide a simple backup solution for WindowsPhone devices???

OTHER FEATURES MISSING:
• Voice control features do not support calendar - For example, you can't ask "What are my upcoming appointments" (a standard feature of Windows Mobile 6 w/Voice Command).

• Remote Desktop Connection - A standard and useful feature (yes, for us more technical people) that was available since the Windows CE days.

• File/Folder structure that we can access and save to - It would be very nice to be able to access and save files to custom folder locations directly on the device, WITHOUT needing to use Live/cloud services.

• "Separate the volume for System, Ringtone, Media and Alarm - I don't think I want to have single volume setting only, when I listen the song and decrease the volume, I don't think I need to decrease the volume of my ringtone and alarm also. If yes, how can I hear my ringtone and alarm??"

I appreciate that Windows Phone 7 Mango has included many much needed features, but the platform in general still has a ways to go before it can become the PERFECT phone for business and power users (people who truly need to stay connected from their smartphone, and EASILY). The problem I see is that Microsoft CAN do this and do it very soon, but more than likely they won't. We shouldn't have to wait for the platform to mature another 2+ years before we see these features reintroduced.

In terms of available features and options, Windows Mobile 6 was much better than WP7. WP7 has the best user interface. If Microsoft can marry the best of WP7 with the feature set of Windows Mobile 6 + more, Microsoft will have THE BEST mobile OS in the market, hands down.

What are your thoughts?

Sven Johannsen
08-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Let me add
Forward/Reply editing: Still can't go in and edit the text of the message you are forwarding or replying to. Don't always want to include the 23 message string, to reply to the last response, with context.

Probably not the only gripe, but it is a particularly aggravating one to me.

Eriq Cook
08-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Let me add
Forward/Reply editing: Still can't go in and edit the text of the message you are forwarding or replying to. Don't always want to include the 23 message string, to reply to the last response, with context.

Probably not the only gripe, but it is a particularly aggravating one to me.

Just double-checked if I could do this in Windows Mobile 6.5 (couldn't remember). #checkmark, you could.

buzzard
08-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey all,

• Inability to click on numbers in a text message and call it - For example, if I receive a text message that says "You have a new voicemail. Dial 123", I can't click on "123" This is silly!!!

• Inability to copy/paste text from applications into new email/text messages - So if I want to copy a string of text (quote, sentence, etc) from another app, why can't we paste it into a message? There are more times I've needed to do this and a nuisance this capability is missing.

• Inability to access DRAFTS folder - This seems like a no brainer and surprised that we cannot access messages located in Drafts folder for Exchange users.

I don't have any problem clicking on a phone number in a text message and it pops up a message asking if I want to call the number. I also can copy from an email and paste to a text message and have no problem accessing email sitting in the draft folder.

I have an HTC Arrive from Sprint although I don't know if either of those things make any difference.

Eriq Cook
08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't have any problem clicking on a phone number in a text message and it pops up a message asking if I want to call the number...

The issue isn't being able to click on a phone number (that DOES work), the issue is with short 3 or 5 digit numbers, like 311, 123, 46645, etc. Currently, WP7 is only programmed to recognize standard telephone numbers. Not codes. Every other smartphone platform (including Windows Mobile) can dial short codes from text messages.

...and have no problem accessing email sitting in the draft folder.

Doesn't work with Exchange server. If you have email drafts on an Exchange server, the Drafts folder cannot be synced (I noticed you didn't quote my full sentence talking about Exchange specifically :-))

...I also can copy from an email and paste to a text message.

I was actually referring to copying text from other non-email or text message apps, like from a Bible app to an email/text message, for example. You can copy/paste within the messaging app (like from email/text msg to email/text msg), but you can't copy/paste from other apps to email/text msg. Don't know if this is something app developers must specifically remember to program in manually, but ALL apps should allow copy/paste to/from each other.

Think I'll edit my original message to be more clear :-)

Sven Johannsen
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I was actually referring to copying text from other non-email or text message apps, like from a Bible app to an email/text message, for example. You can copy/paste within the messaging app (like from email/text msg to email/text msg), but you can't copy/paste from other apps to email/text msg. Don't know if this is something app developers must specifically remember to program in manually, but ALL apps should allow copy/paste to/from each other.
I do think that is an app and developer issue. I can copy from all the office products into mail/text. I recall when copy/paste came out that there were various ways to implement text boxes that either could or could not support copy/paste. The twitter apps were notable in their non-support. With the feature not being there, many developers chose a text format that eventually wasn't copyable. Many have updated their apps.

I'm curious, in the the apps you are trying to copy from, do you get the copy functionality, i.e. tap a word, it highlights and lets you expand the selection and 'copy'? Mail and text do seem to allow the paste block above the keyboard and if something is in the clipboard, the past icon shows up. This is even in 7.0, not even Mango.

Eriq Cook
08-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I kind of thought it might be an app development issue. I'm not a developer, so unsure about how (or if) Microsoft could force a way for developers to implement the proper text boxes that support copy/paste moving forward. Yes, the built in messaging and office apps seem to work ok with copy/paste. Just issues with 3rd party apps it seems.