View Full Version : Some Zune Transcoding Questions Answered

Jason Dunn
10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=32565488&postID=115993462560333129' target='_blank'>http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=32565488&postID=115993462560333129</a><br /><br /></div>I've been <a href="http://www.zunester.com/2006/10/zunes-transcoding-feature-splained.html#comments" target="_blank">posting questions</a> over at the <a href="http://www.zunester.com/" target="_blank">Zunester</a> blog, where Microsoft Zune team member David Caulton has been kind enough to answer a whole bunch of them from interested posters. Here's one segment:<span style="font-style: italic;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><br /><br /></span></span><span style="font-weight: bold;">JASON</span>:<span style="font-style: italic;"> &quot;Will the Zune desktop software transcode anything that the OS had codecs for? As in, if I feed it a DivX file, will it transcode to WMV just like WMP10 does today with the PMC? So I can feed the Zune desktop software DVR-MS files from my MCE 2005 machine, and watch the videos on my Zune?&quot;</span><br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">DAVID</span>: &quot;No, it won't transcode anything the OS has a codec (dshow filter) for. Thus, it won't read and transcode divx and dvr-ms files out of the gate.&quot;<br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">JASON:</span><span style="font-style: italic;"> &quot;Can you talk about the transcoding engine in the Zune desktop software? Is it the same as WMP10, or is it the new (and much faster) transcoding engine I've been told about?&quot;</span><br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">DAVID:</span> &quot;The transcoding engine is improved in a number of ways over wmp10, but you'll have to judge speed yourself.&quot;<br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">JASON:</span><span style="font-style: italic;"> &quot;The transcoding - are there any scheduling or folder monitoring features? As in, I could point it at my recorded TV shows folder and when a new show is recorded, it would transcode that show for me?&quot;</span><br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">DAVID:</span> &quot;It does have schedule and folder monitoring. If an item in the library is due for syncing and will need to be transcoded it will be transcoded during idle computer time.&quot;<br /><br />My analysis: I'm really, really disappointed that the Zune desktop software will not be able to transcode video files that the host PC has codec support for, but the Zune does not. It's one thing for the Zune to not have support for DivX, Xvid, and other popular codecs, but it's quite another to have a software product that won't even transcode the videos. I can't think of anything on the market that limited - even the semi-lame software that came with my Zen Vision:M makes an attempt to transcode video to put it on the device. I'm a big fan of taking recorded TV shows with me on my portable devices, and with the Zune that's seemingly impossible. If the Zune isn't going to even do this much - let alone support more codecs on the device itself - I have to wonder how viable the Zune is when it comes to video playback. I know music sharing was their core scenario, but the way it's looking the Gigabeat S is a much better bet for mobile video.

Vincent M Ferrari
10-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Jason,

You know how I feel about the Zune. I'm convinced it's one of the few reasonable competitors to the iPod out there. That being said, is it not insane that every single detail that pops out about the Zune seems to be a letdown rather than a pleasant surprise?

I'm really not sure Microsoft "gets" what goes on anymore, and that the Zune is more of an attempt to bring everyone onto their plantation than it is to produce a good product...

It's really disappointing.

Jason Dunn
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
...is it not insane that every single detail that pops out about the Zune seems to be a letdown rather than a pleasant surprise?

Yeah, it is rather sad/frustrating to see how many gaping holes there are in the Zune v1 approach. What I find most baffling is that the PMC software was already DONE...why shouldn't the Zune be PMC 3.0 with new hardware? Why drop features and functionality? :confused:

Sage
10-05-2006, 10:57 PM
The more I hear about the Zune, the more disappointed I am by it.

Hopefully they'll get it right by the third iteration, as is the Microsoft way. :)

Phillip Dyson
10-06-2006, 04:08 AM
I'm really not sure Microsoft "gets" what goes on anymore, and that the Zune is more of an attempt to bring everyone onto their plantation than it is to produce a good product...

Well... to be honest, everything is about promoting MS' windows platform. From Windows Mobile, to Xbox, to MCE. Zune is no different. Its always been about Windows in every home and a chicken in every pot. I made that last part up. ;)

MS' model has almost always be iterative. Sometimes an excruciating iterative process. Atleast thats how I feel about the WM cycle.

I do agree though, theres no excuse for Zune to be more out of the box, since some of these features already exist their others platforms. PMC and Windows Media Player being the most obvious ones.

Vincent M Ferrari
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
I agree Philip. Wholeheartedly. MS is all about self-promotion up and down all its product lines.

Which makes the Zune all the more frustrating.

It could've easily been an iPod killer if it had the featureset we heard about from the beginning. As it is now, it's so neutered that it's almost not worth it. And chances are they aren't going to have their third parties to fall back on if Zune flops because I'm sure Creative, Samsung, et. al., aren't exactly thrilled that Plays for Sure is now effectively dead...

I don't know. Maybe there's some grand plan we don't understand. I mean, an anti-iPod with a 3 inch screen, video, good battery life, unrestricted wifi and lenient copy protection would be the best device on the market. What MS doesn't seem to get is you can't match the iPod in features to beat it because if you match it, people are just gonna go, "Screw it, I'll get an iPod." You have to do more. Granted not every device that's done more has been successful, but frankly doing less is not your way to get your foot in the door.

We're gonna be in for an interesting ride over the next few months; that's for sure.

Covert
10-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I know it's disappointing to not have DivX support on the Zune itself or the desktop software, but couldn't a third-party program on your desktop encode your DivX files to compatible .WMVs anyway?

Vincent M Ferrari
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Except that why should you have to?

This is the equivalent of a 5th generation device (even though it's a first gen Zune). Sure you could transcode, but the truth is that when I had my Dell Axim, it was great. I could drop ANY divx file onto a CF card and play it natively with Core Media Player.

That would be a killer app for a portable device. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the powers that be (recording industry folks) convinced MS not to do it so as not to encourage piracy; not to mention MS is very interested in keeping people on the plantation completely (ironic how that's the one thing they always criticized Apple for).

Jason Dunn
10-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I know it's disappointing to not have DivX support on the Zune itself or the desktop software, but couldn't a third-party program on your desktop encode your DivX files to compatible .WMVs anyway?

I'm going to answer your question on the front page, because this topic is a particular passion of mine. ;)

Caliente
10-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Microsoft is so out of touch with reality that it hurts. Zune is crippled. Crippled like Polio.

And there's no cure... not until someone hacks the bejesus out of this thing.

jlp
10-11-2006, 01:08 AM
MS can decidedly never do things right the first time.

They have millions in the bank, move billions, yet their upcoming product is a joke, yet they expect to take on the #1 series of devices with something so badely designed :eek: !!

Yet some much smaller firms can offer devices that handle most formats on-board, does video recording, etc.

Another thing: nowadays everybody has a digicam, moviecam and/or phonecam.

What nice simple solution do you have to save memory cards from these devices?

Everybody goes on holiday, to marriage ceremonies, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

That's a huge market that's seldomly taken care of and the Zune could be a nice device to do that.

Just include a small all(most)-in-one slot that can take your average consumer picture/movie taking portable device card: SD (and sub-standards with their own adapter), MemorySTINK (and endless variants), MMC (and sub-standards with their own adapter), xD, etc.

I have a small USB thumbdrive (http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-2-0-Stick-Multi-Cardreader-XD-SD-MMC-18in1-schwarz_W0QQitemZ300035203371QQihZ020QQcategoryZ77156QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) with a single slot that can read all those cards (sorry the page is in German, it's all I could quickly find; however images speak for themselves).

Turn on de Zune, insert the card and it prompts you to view or transfer the content.

Simple, easy, everybody can handle that.