View Full Version : Windows Phone 7 Ads Continue to Evolve

Jason Dunn
12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
<p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1RvPQHZDOs&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1RvPQHZDOs&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" /></object></p><p>We've seen enough of the "Really?" ads to know what that part of the campaign is trying to communicate, so the question is what's next? The above ad is going in the right direction - direct, to the point information about what the phone can do.</p>

Sven Johannsen
12-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Seems like they are all AT&T ads. T-Mobile still seems to be having fun bashing the iPhone with that cute MyTouch girl. Wonder if Verizon and Sprint will expend any energy on campaigns when they are brought into the fold. If Verizon gets the iPhone, wonder what they'll do with that too. Will they split their time between Droid, iPhone and WindowsPhone?

Janak Parekh
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Finally, finally, Microsoft is making good, entertaining ads, after all these years. Why did it take them this long? :confused: The WM ads were comparably terrible. I guess I should give them lots of credit for realizing that and refreshing it completely.

Sven, these aren't AT&T ads. They're clearly by MS; check out the YouTube user uploading them. They're as "AT&T" as the Apple iPhone ads are.

--janak

Jason Dunn
12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Finally, finally, Microsoft is making good, entertaining ads, after all these years. Why did it take them this long? :confused: The WM ads were comparably terrible. I guess I should give them lots of credit for realizing that and refreshing it completely.

As the saying goes, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to move in a healthy direction. Seems to apply here. ;)

Janak Parekh
12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
As the saying goes, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to move in a healthy direction. Seems to apply here. ;) Let's just hope they keep it up. These (both the previous and this WP7 ads) are excellent: they show unique functionality, they are funny, they are memorable, they have replay value. Hats off, Microsoft. Can't believe I am saying that. :)

--janak

Don Tolson
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I hope whatever ad agency Microsoft (or AT&T) is using and continues to work on the 'Why I would use this phone' vs. the usual 'Look at all the neat features' focus we've seen many others try to use in the past.

Apple got it right on their ads -- sell the concept and the lifestyle choice, what the unit says about you -- rather than just adding more features.

Sven Johannsen
12-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Sven, these aren't AT&T ads. They're clearly by MS; check out the YouTube user uploading them. They're as "AT&T" as the Apple iPhone ads are.

--janak
I kind of get that AT&T didn't produce these, but they are fingered as THE place to go get one at the end. If MS is doing that/allowing that, wouldn't that piss off T-Mobile? Is it that AT&T bought the rights to the spots and T-Mobile didn't? AT&T is doing their own ads as well, with the bizarre little Despicable Me looking little dudes. T-Mobile is doing, what exactly??? There isn't even a T-Mobile app section on my HD7.

crimsonsky
12-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah - I'm with Janek on this one. This is a great ad - almost can't believe it's a Microsoft ad. Great job, MS. Keep it up.

Sven Johannsen
12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
You guys sure about how great these are? Would your girlfriend let you get a WindowsPhone 7 after seeing this? ;):D