View Full Version : Dell Venue Pro Video Unboxing

Jason Dunn
11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIE5leQyqI&feature=player_embedded' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIE...player_embedded</a><br /><br /></div><p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcIE5leQyqI&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcIE5leQyqI&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=&fmt=18" /></object></p><p>Curious about the new Dell Venue Pro? Here it is being unboxed, straight from being purchased at the Microsoft company store. This looks like a great device, but it's a crying shame about the 8 GB storage limitation. I find it really baffling that so many first-generation Windows Phone 7 devices are locked into that level of storage - sure, I know it's about cost, but is the BOM cost of an extra 8 GB really so high?</p>

Macguy59
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Have you experienced the "WiFi bug" with it ?

paulperroni
11-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Did I hear there is no MicroSD card slot?
Can that be possible??

Jason Dunn
11-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Have you experienced the "WiFi bug" with it ?

This isn't my video - I don't have a Venue Pro, though I wish I did. :D

Jason Dunn
11-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Did I hear there is no MicroSD card slot? Can that be possible??

Actually, it turns out there *is* one, but it's under the warranty sticker - and by removing that sticker, you void the warranty. The Samsung Focus is one of the few devices that has a memory card slot that's easily accessible. Windows Phone 7 as a general rule doesn't allow removable storage, because even if you get a Samsung Focus and put in a microSD card, you'll have to leave it in there - the contents of the card are encrypted for speed and security.

The old way of using a storage card is no more...

paulperroni
11-10-2010, 04:31 AM
That is sooo disappointing!
One of my favorite features of Windows vs. Apple is the removable storage ability.
I transfer files from my laptop, to my camera, to my phone... You mean this will no longer be available? Or if I use it my phone's warranty is voided?

Fritzly
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
The old way of using a storage card is no more...

I would rather say:

"The old way of using a storage card is no more... if you buy an iPhone and a WP7 device"; and about the latter I would also add "For the time being...... in the future who knows".

Besides it is very easy to replace the 16 GB SD card of the HD7 with a 32GB without removing the sticker and voiding the warranty....... Just look for the "how to do it" video.........

And speaking of the HD7: is it a "feature" of this specific model or all WP7 devices will turn on when you connect them to an USB cable to charge the battery? I even tried to connect it, turn it off after the device is connected and charging but no luck, it always restart........

Jason Dunn
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
That is sooo disappointing! One of my favorite features of Windows vs. Apple is the removable storage ability. I transfer files from my laptop, to my camera, to my phone... You mean this will no longer be available? Or if I use it my phone's warranty is voided?

Yeah, I understand how you feel. My hunch though is that this isn't an issue for most people...but I'm going to do a survey to see if that hunch is correct (though I suspect the Windows Phone Thoughts readers might skew more toward the taking-out-the-card types).

The data on the removable storage card, if you happen to have a phone that has the slot in an easy-to-access place, is encrypted - so if you remove it, you can't read it in your laptop.

To move pictures/videos/music to/from your phone, you'll need to connect it to your laptop and use the Zune software.

Fritzly
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I understand how you feel. My hunch though is that this isn't an issue for most people...but I'm going to do a survey to see if that hunch is correct (though I suspect the Windows Phone Thoughts readers might skew more toward the taking-out-the-card types).

The data on the removable storage card, if you happen to have a phone that has the slot in an easy-to-access place, is encrypted - so if you remove it, you can't read it in your laptop.

To move pictures/videos/music to/from your phone, you'll need to connect it to your laptop and use the Zune software.

As I posted in a different trend my issue is not moving the card from a phone to a laptop or somewhere else; it is the ability to expand the available space....... without buying a new phone... (-:

How Dell decided to use 8GB only cards is beyond my comprehension.....