View Full Version : Official Samsung Galaxy Tab Promo Video

Jason Dunn
09-24-2010, 05:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHOZZJ_2Wjg&feature=player_embedded' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHOZ...player_embedded</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"[The] Samsung Galaxy Tab is loaded with superb cool features, and is going to give the iPad a real tough fight. The widgets interface is specifically neat! The video shows other features, all titled under the "It's Go Time" slogan."</em></p><p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHOZZJ_2Wjg&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHOZZJ_2Wjg&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=&fmt=18" /></object></p><p>So, where does the Samsung Galaxy Tab fall on your "Want" list? High up? I really like the size - I think it's a logical bump up from a smartphone, but not as gigantic as an iPad.</p>

martin_ayton
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Nice vid. I'm looking at this device and the Galaxy, and comparing the Galaxy with the HTC Desire. Having been bitten before by really poor after-sales support on a WinMo device, I'm interested in what people think about Samsung's tech support? No matter how good the device (and the Tab does look very cool) - if it isn't well supported I don't want it. The thing that is pushing me to the Desire is that every experience I have had with HTC's support has been neutral to positive, but I know nothing about Samsung. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Iznotgold
09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm really interested in this. I have been firmly in the Win Mo camp since 2000 but have been increasingly interested in what Android had to offer. But having an HD2 I had no reason to get an Android phone. The iPad (but not the ecosystem) & new Kindle have been interesting me so the Galaxy Tab might just be the thing for me. I can see this fitting well with my need for instant on PIM functions, Document reader and some entertainment too plus the opportunity to use this as a controller for my Squeezeboxes ....hmm yes I'm interested!

Re Samsung support. I have an X360 SSD Laptop (which I still really rate) but it developed a screen fault. I phoned up Samsung support (who were locally based here in the UK) a few quick questions...and a repair was agreed, packinging for return was sent to me, parcel picked, repaired and returned to me 5 days after I first contacted them. I was impressed!

Cheers

David

alese
09-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Can't really comment about Samsung support, as I don't have any experience with it.
But I can comment on TAB. I played with a prototype, that we have in our company couple of days ago and I like it.

It's much lighter than iPad, it runs really well - browsing on 7" 1024x600 screen is just great, scrolling is smooth, rendering is fast, and Froyo's flash support gives you pretty much the Full Internet Experience, I loved it.
I don't think I would ever again use my PC for browsing if I had one of these at home.

It's also great for reading, and watching video (MKV at 720p works beautifully, I'm not sure for 1080p yet).
Phone calls on such a device are a bit strange for me, but video calls or possible skype video (if client would be available) - that's actually pretty cool.
All in all the only problem for me is the price - if Samsung is going to sell them at rumoured price (700-800 EUR) they can have it, but if it's going to be cheaper...

egads
09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
It's much lighter than iPad, it runs really well - browsing on 7" 1024x600 screen is just great, scrolling is smooth, rendering is fast, and Froyo's flash support gives you pretty much the Full Internet Experience, I loved it.

You said the scrolling is smooth. Is the screen responsive? The video I saw looked like it reacted a half a second or so after a finger swipe. I have lots of bad stuff to say about Apple but their UI's are very responsive.

In general, how does the Android OS compair to iPhone/iTouch in response time?

alese
09-25-2010, 01:35 AM
You said the scrolling is smooth. Is the screen responsive? The video I saw looked like it reacted a half a second or so after a finger swipe. I have lots of bad stuff to say about Apple but their UI's are very responsive.

In general, how does the Android OS compair to iPhone/iTouch in response time?

I would say that the device is very responsive, especially considering it was a prototype not a fully optimized production device. I was running several applications and it was really snappy.

How does it compare to iPad? Well I didn't have an iPad to compare, but from my experience with an iPad I would say that it would be slightly better than Samsung. But like I said, this was a prototype and iPad is for now still a single task device, so it should have no slowdowns.
The more realistic comparison would be production TAB versus iPad with iOS4.

egads
09-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I would say that the device is very responsive, especially considering it was a prototype not a fully optimized production device. I was running several applications and it was really snappy.

How does it compare to iPad? Well I didn't have an iPad to compare, but from my experience with an iPad I would say that it would be slightly better than Samsung. But like I said, this was a prototype and iPad is for now still a single task device, so it should have no slowdowns.
The more realistic comparison would be production TAB versus iPad with iOS4.

Thanks Alese. I'm looking forward to playing with a TAB. I'm up for a new phone in November and I'm pretty sure I'm ditching WinMobile and will more than likely get an Android phone.

Thanks again!