View Full Version : Anyone watching Rock Star: Supernova?

Jason Dunn
08-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I admit it, I'm hooked on this show. I started watching the first season about five or six episodes in, and got hooked for one simple reason: these people could actually SING. I avoid shows such as American Idol (or the even sadder Canadian counterpart) because so many of the people on the show are rank amateurs with potential, nothing more (not that there's anything wrong with that mind you). But with Rock Star the people chosen are often already established musicians with a lot of experience and skill, so the quality level is WAY higher. The house band on Rock Star is simply stunning as well - sometimes I ignore the vocalist and focus on the house band.

The highlight of the season so far, for me, was Ryan Star doing "Losing My Religion" on the piano - amazing vocal performance. That guy can sing!

I was disappointed, though not entirely surprised at the rather...flaccid Supernova song :rolleyes: that was performed last week. I didn't get the sense that any of them were really great songwriters going into this, and the first original tune didn't impress me much. It's too early to judge the band harshly though, I'll wait for the album to come out.

All in all, a great show that I'm enjoying quite a bit.:D

Chris Leckness
08-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Storm Large for the win!

Jason Dunn
08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
So I really dug Ryan Star's original song - very catchy, the guy can really write a good tune. In fact, I liked it a lot more than the Supernova tune.:D

Mr. PPC
08-24-2006, 04:12 AM
I thought Ryan's song was great, a lot harder than what he ahd been doing up to that point.

daS
08-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi Jason,

I really have no idea what "Rock Star: Supernova" is. :confused:

I'm only replying here in order to have a post early in your new forums. :D

Cheers!

encece
08-24-2006, 05:31 AM
I totally agree with your thoughts on the quality of singers. Like night and day when compared to American Idol. (which I got hooked on the first season...skipped the next two...then watched the last).

I thought the british girl would win (dont know her name...kinda hot...purple hair...pound of metal in her face...crying for attention). But she's on the verge of hitting "the wall" and they cant afford that. She also has a bad attitude as is evident this week. B***H, I believe is the correct term.

Ryan, who shares his name with a previous hottie from AI (http://www.ryanstarr.us/photo.htm), is my favorite.
He mumbles alot though.

I like female singers...but I hate female rock singers. Don't know why.

Phoenix
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
I haven't watched much of this show, but even from the little I've seen, they do seem to have a better degree of talent. Lots of good voices there. :cool:

Kirkaiya
08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I think I've been watching this (or more accurately, my wife has been watching some show where all these contestants are trying to become rock stars, and some actual "rock stars" are judging them).

If it's the same show, I like the one blonde girl that I last saw wearing a black leather corsette... (not the girl who sang Sting's "every breath you take", but the one that sang before her). Of course, I'm in Thailand, I have no idea how many shows, or seasons, I am behind (if it's even the same show!!)

So anyway - nice new forum! But I miss the bright dayglow-orange color scheme from SmartPhoneThoughts, or even the subdued blue from ppc thoughts (i have the same username on both, so... are you going to combine my posts? I guess i should go read the explanation more
:D )

David
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm afraid I've never heard of it, either. :(

Jason Dunn
08-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm afraid I've never heard of it, either. :(

Here's a good place to start: http://rockstar.msn.com/

Jeff Rutledge
08-24-2006, 05:34 PM
My wife and I are hooked on this show too. We were Dilana fans from the start (her version of Ring of Fire was incredbile!) until this week's episode where she came off a little arrogant. You have to take it with a grain of salt like any reality TV as we're at the mercy of the producers / editors, but still...

I'm having a tough time predicting who will win this one. I called JD Fortune on RS:INXS about 6 weeks out. If I had to make a guess though, I'd go with Toby. We'll see I guess...

BTW: Jason: I do hope you're planning to change your avatar for this site! ;)

Jason Lee
08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Wow.. sometimes TV scares me... ;)

Mark Kenepp
08-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Wow.. sometimes TV scares me... ;)

Could be worse, could be Skating with Rock Star: Supernova:eek:

jerboa
08-25-2006, 03:51 AM
So I really dug Ryan Star's original song - very catchy, the guy can really write a good tune. In fact, I liked it a lot more than the Supernova tune.:D

I'm still not completely addicted to Supernova but there have been some pretty amazing performances (including Ryan's original song).

It also probably helps that I like the type of music...

Jerome

disconnected
08-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I watch it sometimes, but my favorite reality contest type show, by far, is Project Runway. Second would be So You Think You Can Dance.

shindullin
08-29-2006, 12:16 AM
I vote for So you think you can dance as well. It's cooolio. I even thought about getting tickets for the ilve show and then balked when I saw that prices ranged from about 130 to 480 or so. Wow, some people are laying down some serious money to watch live.

Jason Dunn
08-29-2006, 06:17 AM
We were Dilana fans from the start (her version of Ring of Fire was incredbile!) until this week's episode where she came off a little arrogant.

Yeah, she's been a putz the past few weeks. There's a certain amount of humility needed for reality TV shows, and she totally lacks it. I guess on one hand that means she really wants the job, but it sure comes across in a negative way. She's a great performer, but I find her voice quite one-dimensional. Everything she does is scratchy and growly. I dislike Lucas' voice for the same reason, though he has more range/sounds. Ryan and Toby can definitely sing and have a great sound.

Myself, I think Ryan would be the best fit, but I wonder if he's too much of a "real artist" for the band. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought his song was excellent, while the first (and second for that matter) Supernova songs were kind of ho-hum. I predict Supernova will ditch Ryan for creative reasons, namely they want a lead singer that will do what they want, not try to write songs for them. Dilana showed that her lyric-writing abilities were just plain sad..but that is probably just fine for Supernova.

BTW: Jason: I do hope you're planning to change your avatar for this site! ;)

Still thinking about it. :D

Lotto
08-30-2006, 02:52 AM
I enjoy this show, as I do many reality shows....but I do think Rock Star:INXS was better than Rock Star:Supernova. The last few shows were really good, and the house band...man, give it up for them, they were outstanding!

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 03:48 PM
...but I do think Rock Star:INXS was better than Rock Star:Supernova.

Really? One of the things I prefer about Supernova over INXS is that they're more honest with their criticism of the performers. I always felt like INXS were just too polite when it came to critiques of the vocals and performances.

The house band is AWESOME though, no doubt about that. And they seem to be getting more TV time on this new series as well, which is cool.

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 08:01 PM
So it's looking like Dilana is self-destructing. My hunch is that Supernova, made up of mature rockers in their 40s, want no part of someone that unstable and moody. She can't handle the pressure. :eek:

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 08:12 PM
So, I'm curious, how many people watching the show are actually voting? I never watch it live - always the next day on my MCE machine - so I've never voted. Are you voting? Once? Multiple times?

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 08:57 PM
!!!AUGUST 29th SPOILER ALERT!!!

I just finished watching last night's episode, and it's kind of crazy, the fan song selections were kind of bizarre...most people really have no clue what types of songs are appropriate for certain voices.

Ryan pulled off "Clocks" through sheer performance magnetism - his voice couldn't handle the falsetto properly (almost no one can). Storm doing "Bring Me To Life" was kind of brutal, again because it's so far outside her vocal pocket. Toby doing "Rebel Yell" was rough as well - the verses are too low for his voice. He pulled it off with the chorus though, and by bringing the hot women up on stage and making his performance memorable. Dilana did a good job with "Mother Mother", and she's really fortunate it's within her vocal range..though interestingly enough, I thought Jill did a better job vocally when did did it earlier. Dilana put in a solid presentation of the song itself though, and Supernova seemed to like it a lot.

Lotto
09-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Well sadly I am 2 shows behind presently. It's on my dv-r waiting so I will not read your spoilers, but you are right..

This year the criticism has been more on target, and honest and raw. I just preferred last years show because the songs toward the end were awesome, and that house band really shined.

Does anyone know if this is the same house band as last year?

btw....no I never vote on any reality shows. :p

Jason Dunn
09-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Does anyone know if this is the same house band as last year?

Yup, same house band - EXCELLENT musicians. Their biographies are up on the MSN Rockstar site, very cool to read.

Lotto
09-02-2006, 03:17 AM
I must say I liked Dilana until recent events. I don't feel she pulled off this last performance as well as she could have. Their is a fine line between rock 'n roll and freaky. At times I felt she went too freaky to compensate. Throwing the glass was downright childish.

That said...I didn't enjoy Storm's performance either. I feel for several weeks now she's been over singing...many times just outright yelling when it wasn't appropriate to add that atmosphere to the song.

I think SuperNova had their sites set on Dilana...now they just aren't sure who to keep.

Jason Dunn
09-02-2006, 06:26 AM
I must say I liked Dilana until recent events. I don't feel she pulled off this last performance as well as she could have.

You mean "Mother, Mother"? Yeah, it wasn't as good as Jill's performance IMO, though compared to many of the other songs picked, it was decent. The truth is, the fans can't pick songs worth crap. :rolleyes:

That said...I didn't enjoy Storm's performance either. I feel for several weeks now she's been over singing...many times just outright yelling when it wasn't appropriate to add that atmosphere to the song.

You know what's funny? For the most part, I think many of the vocalists are getting worse as time goes on, because Supernova keeps urging them to "rock it hard" and "kill the song"...and that's what they do. The over-singing problem has gotten worse, not better (though Jill was the worst for that).

I think SuperNova had their sites set on Dilana...now they just aren't sure who to keep.

I think Toby will probably win myself. He's the most putty-like and I think they want to mold him into the type of lead singer they want/need.

Jason Dunn
09-02-2006, 06:33 AM
I can't believe they gave Ryan the boot!

Did you notice how they did it? There was no explanation given, no reasoning, just "See ya later". I thought Ryan's reply was classic - something to the effect of "If I was your lead singer I could have given you 20 years of great, relevant music, but oh well...see you guys on the charts!". It was classic, because I think Ryan (and the band) both knew that his songwriter skills would have taken them in a new direction, and they didn't want to go that way, instead preferring to write their own material. It would have been constant clashes between Ryan the Songwriter and Supernova the band.

I didn't think he did a very good job with the last song - he over-sang it badly, and while the stage performance was engaging, he kind of blew the song.

I'm going to buy his solo album and I expect great things from him in the coming year. :D

Lotto
09-03-2006, 03:54 AM
I have a feeling, he already clashed with several people, the house band, members of SuperNova. Things that may have been left unsaid. He seemed to have something behind those words he said, more than just "You'll see, I'll prove you wrong."

That done, I agree with you, Toby has a great shot. The only other choice might still be Dilana. She has a side to her they seemed to loved.

I did head to the website, and it's an awesome looking page. Just for giggles and grins you might enjoy reading Dave Navarro's site on myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=38046977

It's funny as he says the site is not supported by anyone by himself, so there he can say whatever he wants.

As one last note, I don't get the hype over Patrice or Zayra. Why did either of them hang on so long? I couldn't stand either of their performances most every week. They did both have maybe one week that was good, but the rest....geeeesh, take your fingernails off the chalk board!

Jason Dunn
09-03-2006, 06:35 AM
As one last note, I don't get the hype over Patrice or Zayra. Why did either of them hang on so long? I couldn't stand either of their performances most every week. They did both have maybe one week that was good, but the rest....geeeesh, take your fingernails off the chalk board!

Zayra was kept around for pure entertainment value - it was clear to everyone, both voting fans and the band, that she wasn't a good fit from the first time she opened her mouth. Let's face it: the band could have picked the final four after the first show of performances. But, every show needs drama, and they kept Zayra around just for the fun of it. Who else would wear those crazy outfits? :rolleyes:

Patrice on the other hand, I found to be an excellent musician - great vocalist, great songwriter, great performer...just not right for Supernova. In fact, the more they pushed her to "kill the songs", I think the worse she got. I'd like to follow her solo career actually, and I think she may go places from the exposure on the show.

Lotto
09-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Sadly for me, the fact that they kept Zayra around, kinda took down the integrity of the show. Of all the reality shows I thought this one would maybe have less 'just for the camera' footage, and just show raw talent, and honest criticism.

Now, last night's show....Dilana seems to have had the wind knocked out of her sails. Considering she was hurt she put on a pretty good performance, but her attitude while others were performing was one of defeat. Gilby didn't seem too thrilled with her at all during the song writing.

I still like Toby, and frankly Storm was one of my first picks when the show started (before she started over-singing everything). If they want a female, she has a chance yet. Toby seems to have a connection with the audience like none of the others do though.

Lukas is the most put together like a rocker clothes wise...but almost over done imho. I didn't like Lukas' first performance. He usually does a decent show, as does Magni. Although, I don't think Magni is right for Supernova. Magni is a true rocker in his heart, he knows the songs in and out, but not sure he has the energy for Supernova. He's more calm, lacks something on stage.

Toby and Storm are both good at getting the crowd rockin', Supernova likes that. Lukas has a dark side that appeals to Dave Navarro. I think these will be the top 3 unless something goes haywire. (They might be afraid of Storm freaking out on them on tour, she's kind of a loose cannon at times.)

Jason Dunn
09-06-2006, 08:36 PM
After watching last night's episode, it's crystal clear to me that Toby is going to win. He has the performance chops, the song-writing chops, and the vocal chops. He's exactly what Supernova is looking for, and I don't think they're gutsy enough to take on a woman lead singer (not matter how many times they proclaim otherwise).

Lotto
09-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Well I'm shocked, I thought the winner was in the #3 slot. Without spoiling it if you haven't seen the finale yet. I think they believe the one who took 3rd, will make it anyhow...on their own with no problem.

Jason Dunn
09-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I was shocked as well. I'll wait another day or so before talking about who won, and who didn't, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. Someone already ruined it for me. :rolleyes:

mrozema
09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Man, I can't beleive the outcome of the last episode!
Lucas can sing alright when he wants but he butchered the two Supernova songs they performed at the end.
Toby should've gotten it for sure. He appears far more grounded than the other two finalists, he has the 'look', he's a fantastic singer and he is not a freakin' drama queen!

Oh well... I never really thought that Supernova would get big anyhow :p

Lotto
09-16-2006, 01:56 AM
I kinda get the feeling that SuperNova was created just for the show, the tour, and maybe some major appearances on some broadcasted specials, like an awards show. I'm not sure how much beyond that is going to happen.

I found it interesting on the last show they said "See you next summer!"

I wonder who Navarro will line up for next year.