Originally Posted by jeisner
The problem with 6.5 to me is the marketplace
- Developers who have gotten on early are saying that MS don't give them the liveid of buyers so they can't send keys out themselves to buyers (if they used product key protection).
- MS preferred method to protect the software, deleting the CAB file of an app after install has already been cracked and is so easy to bypass it is silly.
- It is region based but worse than DVD or Blueray. You are automatically set to your own region as a buyer and as a seller you have to submit seperately to each region (each submission is charged seperate to the yearly fee).
- Seperate regions just for english so far include US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, Singapore and Ireland.
- Support for developers is so slow it is just sad.
- I have seen a number of reports of apps (including some well known software) being rejected with the reason response being left blank, each one comes off the 5 submissions allowed for the original US$99 fee (each submission after that is US$99).
Very little seems to be happening on the MSDN forum so maybe as this becomes more public someone at MS will wake up.. It just seems to me reading all the problems other people are having and the things I have experienced that they are charging us a 12 month subscription to sign up to a store that is well and truely still in a beta state even now..
As a WM software developer I am beyond disappointed in the MarketPlace. I was really hoping MS would of taken some of the queues from AppStore on this one. I think NO one would have cared if they copied their exact program. It works letís be honest, minor tweaks maybe. Our company has already decided that we will not be selling any of our software on the Market Place. The restrictions are way too ridiculous and like 'jeisner' said the support response has not only been slow but in some cases none existent. I didn't even know about the Region aspect of it until 'jeisner' posted that, told the boss and he said "Now its offical. We are not going to use the Market Place." He's not a happy camper right now. Personally there are several programs that I have written that I want to give away for FREE but I wonít if I have to pay $99 to be able to do it. Updates are KEY and if you have to pay to put your update on the site too, than I am just going to keep posting them on my own website and hope people come across them.
I've used several ROM's cooked up by the great Chefs over at XDA. Yes there are bugs and yes they do fix them. And what do you know there is a great HELP community there too. Microsoft you should not only look at XDA for Help but you should embrace the community that is keeping your product alive. I could name 5 Chefs on XDA that you should bring on board that would change the WM stigma. I donít like kicking people out on the street but this has been going on far too long. Time to clean house at the Mobile OS Team. Just my opinionÖ